Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 kwh draw when idle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ABMT

Apr 11, 2018
Montana
Does anyone know what the Powerwall 2.0 system energy draw is? I've ordered two Powerwalls for my off-grid cabin and I'm a little concerned about the drain all winter when there isn't much sun (I have a 5kW panel).

The only load all winter is the modem so I can check on the system.

My current Outback inverter draws about 3kWh a day.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know what the Powerwall 2.0 system energy draw is? I've ordered two Powerwalls for my off-grid cabin and I'm a little concerned about the drain all winter when there isn't much sun (I have a 5kW panel).

The only load all winter is the modem so I can check on the system.

My current Outback inverter draws about 3kWh a day.

Thanks in advance.

I have 2 Powerwalls, 3 Outback inverters and a Xantrex as part of our grid-tied system. A problem that has not been solved is the Powerwalls are discharging in apparent response to the Outback inverters "charging" or floating my really decrepit batteries that are connected to them. The "standby" loses are smaller but I haven't been able to see it yet because of this problem. Others have posted about that but I don't have the numbers at my finger tips.

I just installed a power monitoring channel on mine (from my Brultech Gem) and it appears to be be drawing about 4 to 5W in idle, however I don't know if that includes the Gateway... My guess is not, so I might have to see at some point with flipping all my breakers off to measure that.

Telsa say around 1kWh per day - that (I believe) is for the gateway controller, rather than the batteries). You'd only have one gateway, so I'd be thinking around 1kWh per day - a 40W load for the gateway controller seems about right.

I haven't measured it, though - the design of the gateway makes it difficult to measure it's consumption, and the gateway doesn't report on self consumption for the gateway.

The batteries flip between 0 and 10 watts when idle, so @strangely's 4-5W matches what the gateway itself reports.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva