Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall as backup fed by non-Tesla solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that Powerwall can either be charged by solar or the grid, not both. I’m wondering why that is and what the difference would be in terms of wiring. I have an existing solar system installed many years ago. Do I need a Tesla solar inverter to charge the Powerwall with solar? Or will my existing grid-tie inverter work? As I understand it, the Tesla backup gateway should be sufficient to trick a grid-tie inverter into thinking that the grid is online. Any other considerations to keep in mind?

I read that Powerwall can either be charged by solar or the grid, not both. I’m wondering why that is and what the difference would be in terms of wiring. I have an existing solar system installed many years ago. Do I need a Tesla solar inverter to charge the Powerwall with solar? Or will my existing grid-tie inverter work? As I understand it, the Tesla backup gateway should be sufficient to trick a grid-tie inverter into thinking that the grid is online. Any other considerations to keep in mind?
I can charge PW from either solar and or grid, many of us can now

Reactions: GregBallantyne

There is no difference in terms of wiring. Its options in the app, and whether Grid charging is enabled for your account or not.

No, you dont need a Tesla inverter. Powerwalls are AC coupled, so work with most inverters.

Reactions: arnolddeleon