Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall battery calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Powerwall battery need to go through a full charge and discharge cycle or "calibration" before it reports accurately? It's my first time running off the battery and the first 10% seemed to drop off quickly but it has now seemed to settle down.

Does the Powerwall battery need to go through a full charge and discharge cycle or "calibration" before it reports accurately? It's my first time running off the battery and the first 10% seemed to drop off quickly but it has now seemed to settle down.

Not that I am aware of. Speed of "drop" of the battery should just be what was running in your home when you were running off battery. Like, were you using an electric oven, was a pool pump running, other high draw items?

Yeah its amazing how much power things like electric wall ovens can use. With that being said, do you have 1 powerwall or more than 1?

Yes, it is good too find out now how certain loads effect the battery so I can curtail my usage during an outage. I was able to run all night with plenty to spare. Unfortunately we have snow today so I don't think I am going to be able to charge them back up much. I have 2 Powerwalls.

Yes, it is good too find out now how certain loads effect the battery so I can curtail my usage during an outage. I was able to run all night with plenty to spare. Unfortunately we have snow today so I don't think I am going to be able to charge them back up much. I have 2 Powerwalls.

Can you share a screen shot of your Tesla app for that day? Specifically the house usage and Powerwall consumption would be good.

Just rough napkin math electric ovens draw about 3kw. Running it for 20 minutes would use 1kWh of electricity. 2x Powerwalls have about 27kWh so 1kWh is about 3.7% drained in that period of time.

Can you share a screen shot of your Tesla app for that day? Specifically the house usage and Powerwall consumption would be good.

Just rough napkin math electric ovens draw about 3kw. Running it for 20 minutes would use 1kWh of electricity. 2x Powerwalls have about 27kWh so 1kWh is about 3.7% drained in that period of time.

Powerwall was around 92 percent when I switched over to battery. I have attached a screenshot. It looks like I peaked at 5kw so I am thinking someone may have used the microwave as well as the oven during this time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-122807.png
    Screenshot_20201030-122807.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 75
We opted to not put the oven on the backed up circuits panel for our 1x Powerwall. The system installer said it'd be like trying to run a hair dryer off of AA batteries :)

Most likely none of these will work with a single powerwall. Each powerwall is limited to 7Kw peak (<10 secs) and 5Kw continuous. The way to be able to handle higher limits is to get more Powerwalls.