Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall discharging inappropriately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting June 5th, after the latest update to the Tesla App, our Powerwall began behaving strangely. We're in California with SCE, and we're on a TOU rate plan, so we've had the Powerwall set to the Advanced/Balanced mode.

Previously, the Powerwall would charge up during the morning, and the house would be powered by the grid. Peak Rates begin, the house are from 2pm to 8pm, and during those hours the house would be powered by the Powerwall. Then the Powerwall would stop discharging, and the house would be powered by the grid again until morning.

Now, the Powerwall will randomly discharge every night, during Off-Peak hours, which makes no sense. The fine folks at Powerwall Support won't return my calls, so I contacted our installer Swell Energy. They were able to reach someone at Tesla, and were told that our system is operating normally!

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you agree that this is not "operating normally"?

Same thing just happened to me last night from 12am - 8am. My powerwalls discharged during off-peak. If I had my been charging my car, I think I would have drained my walls completely. I’m on firmware 1.37.1.

F8292C03-92B0-4757-83B6-74D84B70FA84.png

Last edited:
Starting June 5th, after the latest update to the Tesla App, our Powerwall began behaving strangely. We're in California with SCE, and we're on a TOU rate plan, so we've had the Powerwall set to the Advanced/Balanced mode.

Previously, the Powerwall would charge up during the morning, and the house would be powered by the grid. Peak Rates begin, the house are from 2pm to 8pm, and during those hours the house would be powered by the Powerwall. Then the Powerwall would stop discharging, and the house would be powered by the grid again until morning.

Now, the Powerwall will randomly discharge every night, during Off-Peak hours, which makes no sense. The fine folks at Powerwall Support won't return my calls, so I contacted our installer Swell Energy. They were able to reach someone at Tesla, and were told that our system is operating normally!

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you agree that this is not "operating normally"?

Change from Balanced to Cost Savings in TBC. After the latest update, the mode you want is Cost Savings, which doesn't discharge during off-peak.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Hi all,

Just wanted to report back with an update. After changing my operating mode from Balanced to Cost-Saving, my Powerwall performed normally last night and this morning. No discharging during Off-Peak hours!

Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: Brovane
Been using TOU cost savings and today had the pw discharging during off-peak. Yesterday, (Saturday), it worked normally and waited until 3 pm peak to discharge. Any ideas?

Do you have your Powerwall set to Balanced mode or Cost-Saving mode? Whichever it is, try changing it to the other.

The "tech support" people at Tesla don't seem to know what normal Powerwall behavior is, and they just tell me that the Powerwall is "learning" and getting "smarter", even when it's doing something stupid.

]Would I know if there was a software update like we do for the vehicle?

Like any other app on an Android device, the Tesla app will automatically update if you have the Play Store set to do that, otherwise you'll need to occasionally go to the Store manually update. If you have an Apple device, then I don't know.

Do you have your Powerwall set to Balanced mode or Cost-Saving mode? Whichever it is, try changing it to the other.

The "tech support" people at Tesla don't seem to know what normal Powerwall behavior is, and they just tell me that the Powerwall is "learning" and getting "smarter", even when it's doing something stupid.

Like any other app on an Android device, the Tesla app will automatically update if you have the Play Store set to do that, otherwise you'll need to occasionally go to the Store manually update. If you have an Apple device, then I don't know.

Been using Cost Savings but flipped it over to Balanced. Ended up switching to Back-up mode to get it to charge until 3 PM peak, and then I'll try switching back to Cost Saving. I was wondering if the PWs themselves perhaps had a recent update, we are currently on 1.41.2 and looked in the notes section where it appears October was the most recent change. Thanks for the suggestion!
PW3.jpg

I did noticed that around the time the PWs kicked in, we were under increased demand from washer/dryer.

What TOU schedule do you have programmed? If you want to reliably get it to only charge during off-peak and discharge during peak, you need to eliminate any shoulder period. During the shoulder, the PW may charge or discharge. I have set only peak and off-peak times to eliminate this problem in cost savings mode. For example: 2pm-8pm is peak, all other times are off-peak. No shoulder.

What TOU schedule do you have programmed? If you want to reliably get it to only charge during off-peak and discharge during peak, you need to eliminate any shoulder period. During the shoulder, the PW may charge or discharge. I have set only peak and off-peak times to eliminate this problem in cost savings mode. For example: 2pm-8pm is peak, all other times are off-peak. No shoulder.

Yeah, I have the same setting with no shoulder. It's been working like clockwork until today and I made no changes to it (until I saw it discharging earlier today).