Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold Powerwall Founders Series Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting two years for the referral award, and it's now ready for installation. But.... my house is going to cost me too much out of pocket. Any interest from anyone looking to do a powerwall and want to save a little and take my referral award? Tesla has given me that option to transfer, or to hang on to the award indefinitely until I move houses.

Let me know. I'm in the Dallas area and would love to sell it to someone locally so I can check it out one day. I'm seeing about a $8k value in the award with the equipment and the installation credit combined. I'm looking for around $6k.

So, not directed at the OP, just thinking out loud here. The cost of theses on Tesla is as the OP has stated, approximately 8k with the install credit.

Given that the recipient is going to be getting taxed on this "gift" at their marginal tax rate (and state if they are unlucky), I am not seeing the logic behind going for one or more of these unless they are heavily discounted.

As an example, for me, taxes would be nearly 50% of whatever value Tesla marks this as on a 1099-MISC, making the total cost as much or more than purchasing direct.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: cr0ntab and redan
Well I suppose it depends on two things --- your tax rate, and whatever value Tesla puts on the Powerwall (dont forget Founders Series arent sold publicly). All that, can result in a significant savings. And to celebrate this - I'm dropping mine down to $4950 if you are local in DFW.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, thanks for indulging my thought process.

For some the red paint and Elon's signature might be worth the extra $$$. Most people buying Powerwalls I suspect are at marginal rates of 25% and up (a generalization, sure, but probably a reasonably accurate one).

My suspicion is that Tesla will most likely list these as full retail price (or higher?) on 1099-MISC. They get to write down the value of these for every penny they put on there which can be justified, so they have no incentive to discount them. Why do I suspect this? I have a friend that used to work at Ford and one of his earliest jobs was in crash test. When Ford crash tested a car, they would ALWAYS crash test the most fully loaded version of the car they could in order to write off as much as possible. Employees were expressly prohibited from taking even the simplest items from the car after the test (i.e. the car manual in the glove box was to remain with the car, etc.). If Tesla has even a semblance of a decent accounting team, something similar is going on with the numbers for the referral program.

• Informative
Reactions: Oyinko