Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall dilemma -- not sure if I have any options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.

Years ago I won one of the rare red "signed" powerwalls from the referral program. I had it installed in my home at the time as purely backup as we didn't have solar.

We moved from that house in 2020 and put the red PW into storage waiting for Tesla solar to be installed at the new house.
That finally happened in the summer 2021 when I had 24 panels plus a new PW2+ and the older red PW installed with it. Even being in storage for 18 months, it still had a 95% state of charge.

Anyway, a few months ago I get a few calls from Tesla Energy saying that the red powerwall is throwing some error codes and needs to be replaced (under warranty).

The two techs came out to investigate and they told me that "new" red powerwalls come up every once in a while and I can wait for one of those to replace the faulty unit. They'll let me know.

Two weeks go by, and I get more calls from HQ -- there are no red PWs available to replace, only white generic ones. There are essentially no options to keep a red PW -- I'd be sending it back for a new white replacement. I don't really care about the "signed" part, I just want a red replacement. But that's not an option. They ran it up a few levels and they all said "nope, not gonna happen".

Can anyone think of any options or alternatives? I asked if I could keep the red one, and they said nope (as expected).

So I'd like to get this fixed to restore my two PWs to full capacity, but it looks like my only option is to just suck it up and have it replaced.

Thoughts?

Hi folks.

Years ago I won one of the rare red "signed" powerwalls from the referral program. I had it installed in my home at the time as purely backup as we didn't have solar.

We moved from that house in 2020 and put the red PW into storage waiting for Tesla solar to be installed at the new house.
That finally happened in the summer 2021 when I had 24 panels plus a new PW2+ and the older red PW installed with it. Even being in storage for 18 months, it still had a 95% state of charge.

Anyway, a few months ago I get a few calls from Tesla Energy saying that the red powerwall is throwing some error codes and needs to be replaced (under warranty).

The two techs came out to investigate and they told me that "new" red powerwalls come up every once in a while and I can wait for one of those to replace the faulty unit. They'll let me know.

Two weeks go by, and I get more calls from HQ -- there are no red PWs available to replace, only white generic ones. There are essentially no options to keep a red PW -- I'd be sending it back for a new white replacement. I don't really care about the "signed" part, I just want a red replacement. But that's not an option. They ran it up a few levels and they all said "nope, not gonna happen".

Can anyone think of any options or alternatives? I asked if I could keep the red one, and they said nope (as expected).

So I'd like to get this fixed to restore my two PWs to full capacity, but it looks like my only option is to just suck it up and have it replaced.

Thoughts?
There isnt much you can do. I think there is even a clause in the warranty that tit is void if you paint the PW2. Not sure if wrapping with vinyl it counts as paint but that would be a pretty easy option. With no complex curves, wrapping it will be pretty easy to DIY.

Just remind yourself what the Powerwall is really for. For you, does form override function or function over form?

“It’s not having what you want. It’s wanting what you’ve got!” - wise words to live by and helps me put the rampant consumerism into perspective.

Also, pay attention when your Powerwall achieves your goal. If it is form, then note when you get a compliment even though it doesn’t work. If it is function, then the next time the power goes out but your lights are still on or you get a lower utility bill, thank your hard working Powerwall regardless what it looks like.

Last edited:
1707935535027.png

;)

Can't they just swap the covers?

Unfortunately no.. I already asked. My red 'founders' powerwall is an older version (V1) and not only is the cover ever-so-slightly different size, the Tesla Energy techs aren't in the business to start disassembling two PWs in my basement to swap covers. It's just not something they'd entertain. I even asked if they could take my PW back and fix it and then return it. "Nope."
There isnt much you can do.

Yeah, that's what I though, but I figured I'd throw this out into the ether to see if anyone had any novel ideas.

I think there is even a clause in the warranty that tit is void if you paint the PW2.

Good to know!!

Not sure if wrapping with vinyl it counts as paint but that would be a pretty easy option. With no complex curves, wrapping it will be pretty easy to DIY.

A wrap is possible, but also easy to remove if it needs service in the future. The problem is finding that exact signature red color.

Just remind yourself what the Powerwall is really for. For you, does form override function or function over form?

Yeah, I know. It just sits in my dark basement 99.99% of the time. But it's such a nice install with the red PW out front. Took a lot of work to get those referrals, it's kind a badge of honor that only I can appreciate. I'd really hate to give it up, but yeah, I really don't have a choice here if I want 100% capacity of both PWs.

Thanks folks.

Unfortunately no.. I already asked. My red 'founders' powerwall is an older version (V1) and not only is the cover ever-so-slightly different size, the Tesla Energy techs aren't in the business to start disassembling two PWs in my basement to swap covers. It's just not something they'd entertain. I even asked if they could take my PW back and fix it and then return it. "Nope."

Yeah, that's what I though, but I figured I'd throw this out into the ether to see if anyone had any novel ideas.

Good to know!!

A wrap is possible, but also easy to remove if it needs service in the future. The problem is finding that exact signature red color.

Yeah, I know. It just sits in my dark basement 99.99% of the time. But it's such a nice install with the red PW out front. Took a lot of work to get those referrals, it's kind a badge of honor that only I can appreciate. I'd really hate to give it up, but yeah, I really don't have a choice here if I want 100% capacity of both PWs.

Thanks folks.
Wrap both of the Powerwalls with a nice red so they match. It might not be signature red but you can get close.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Wrap both of the Powerwalls with a nice red so they match. It might not be signature red but you can get close.

Mine are stacked -- red one in front of the white one.. so that really wouldn't work. :(

Ask to keep the cover of the red one. Put it on display somewhere (not in the dark basement).

I already asked them that.. the answer was (in effect) "not a chance".