Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall in NYC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirmed with FDNY that current fire code will not allow me to install a Powerwall. Seriously bummed. Just had outage after Isaias and couldn’t use production from solar panels, had to rely on propane generator to keep refrigerators running. Anyone have an idea if/when this may change?

Did they cite the part of the code that prevents it? Given that installs happen all over, this must be a local code (not part of the NEC) unless there is something specific to your property that is problematic.

Assuming it is a local code issue, you may need to work with the fire department and/or the city to petition to get the applicable code changed, or to correct any misinterpretation of the code.

I am stating the obvious here and I know this is likely bureaucracy but the lack of logic and reason of people as a group makes me sad. A likely min 5 lb cylinder of liquid at 150psi that immediately goes to a highly flammable gas ....oh no problem ... a couple of basically large highly regulated batteries ... oh no! Look out the city is under attack ! Reminds me of early days with Tesla autos.
To OP I hope you don’t get discouraged and are able to get it sorted, out whatever the roadblock(s), then those that follow you won’t have to deal with these same issues.

I am stating the obvious here and I know this is likely bureaucracy but the lack of logic and reason of people as a group makes me sad. A likely min 5 lb cylinder of liquid at 150psi that immediately goes to a highly flammable gas ....oh no problem ... a couple of basically large highly regulated batteries ... oh no! Look out the city is under attack ! Reminds me of early days with Tesla autos.
To OP I hope you don’t get discouraged and are able to get it sorted, out whatever the roadblock(s), then those that follow you won’t have to deal with these same issues.

Also, its likely that the same location that is "not ok for powerwalls" for some reason, the OP could likely park a tesla vehicle close to that location which has the at least quadruple the amount of batteries.

Also, its likely that the same location that is "not ok for powerwalls" for some reason, the OP could likely park a tesla vehicle close to that location which has the at least quadruple the amount of batteries.
Yea I thought it odd moment I read on these boards of jurisdictions that do not allow a single Powerwall inside a garage yet you can park 2 or 3 ‘rolling” powers walls inside garage ... no problem :rolleyes: ( I’ll ignore the 45 to 150+ gallons of gasoline that are perfectly acceptable parked in the garage)