Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the information! I have a couple of questions: 1) Can you tell me if Powerwall is capable of accepting 110/120 VAC input from a small portable generator to charge the batteries, such as, during a natural disaster? 2) What's the minimum input level from the PV string? For example, if I am only able to install 6 panels, and the additive voltage on the string is ~234VDC, do I have options? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the information! I have a couple of questions: 1) Can you tell me if Powerwall is capable of accepting 110/120 VAC input from a small portable generator to charge the batteries, such as, during a natural disaster? 2) What's the minimum input level from the PV string? For example, if I am only able to install 6 panels, and the additive voltage on the string is ~234VDC, do I have options? Thanks in advance!

1) no.
2) Powerwall only works with Solaredge inverters and optimizers. I do believe the minimum string size for a Solaredge inverter is around 6 panels, but you'd have to check. I think it is a minimum wattage, so it would depend on how powerful or efficient the panel's are.

Cosmacelf, does your inverter output 110V as well as 220V?

Residential 220v IS 110v; L-L = 220; L-N/G = 110v; Some inverters are only 110v since they only have 1 hot leg.

02170.png

I don't have an inverter. AFAIK, all US household solar inverters output split phase 240V, which you can then get 120V from, just like from a normal panel. I would guess most gasoline or fuel powered generators are like that too.
Only generators above a certain size output 240V. For example, in the Honda gasoline generator product line, only the ones that are rated 4,000W and above output 120/240V.