Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I already have 2 Powerwalls and debating if it makes sense to add another one. I should've been more clear.

When we just bought a house few years ago we had a 3-days power outage and life was completely paralyzed, that's when I decided that solar alone in not sufficient. So now I just thinking if 3rd PW would be meaningful addition as a future proof - who knows what happens with ToU ina future. And not I still can get 7 years 0% loan for PW. With sighing it to Connected Solutions I would get 700/800 per year so it's almost half off...
So that's why I have all these questions..
"Makes sense" is, I think, one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" things.

Personally, I think that getting a third Powerwall probably lies somewhere between a slam dunk, and totally insane. How much you value having power reserves, would, at least for me, be the big item.

While it is not exactly top of mind, Massachusetts does get hurricanes, nor'easters, and believe it or not, major earthquakes. If it were me, I'd do it, especially with a few years of Connected Solutions reimbursements.

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
Yeah, I already have 2 Powerwalls and debating if it makes sense to add another one. I should've been more clear.

When we just bought a house few years ago we had a 3-days power outage and life was completely paralyzed, that's when I decided that solar alone in not sufficient. So now I just thinking if 3rd PW would be meaningful addition as a future proof - who knows what happens with ToU ina future. And not I still can get 7 years 0% loan for PW. With sighing it to Connected Solutions I would get 700/800 per year so it's almost half off...
So that's why I have all these questions..
That is why I am also considering a 3rd PW. Here, power company is very greedy. Getting worse every year. The are considering income-based rates. :eek:
A 3rd PW would drag out how long I could stay self-sufficient and perhaps if and when time of use comes, I can shave off any usage during peaks.

Received notification of site inspection today (scheduled 9/12)

Received txt yesterday (8/21) asking if they could come today (8/22) for site inspection (which agreed to). Tesla inspector came today and did a quick review (approx 25 min) and given my existing set up thinks this will be an easy instal. He’ll turn his notes in with next step being site design. Will keep you all posted on progress.

Received txt yesterday (8/21) asking if they could come today (8/22) for site inspection (which agreed to). Tesla inspector came today and did a quick review (approx 25 min) and given my existing set up thinks this will be an easy instal. He’ll turn his notes in with next step being site design. Will keep you all posted on progress.
I also ordered another PW, site inspection is 27 September. :eek:
Maybe you can help me out. ;)
Have your guy who texted or who came by to call my person, so far unknown, to text me as well so he can come earlier, like Friday.:D:D:D

I also ordered another PW, site inspection is 27 September. :eek:
Maybe you can help me out. ;)
Have your guy who texted or who came by to call my person, so far unknown, to text me as well so he can come earlier, like Friday.:D:D:D
Txt was a generic Tesla number so no inside line unfortunately.

I had previously messaged from the Tesla order management page say I was open to cancelations and they said that if available they will reach out so not sure if I was selected as a result of that conversation so perhaps that is worth a try…

Inspector said he usually does installs but is helping out with inspections given the backlogs.

Reactions: charlesj
Wondering if anyone has had same experience. Ordered three more powerwalls ontop or original two. Had home inspection about a week ago and then paperwork online and the. I see that they added a. We home inspection for a week from now without any reason as to why there is a second inspection

Wondering if anyone has had same experience. Ordered three more powerwalls ontop or original two. Had home inspection about a week ago and then paperwork online and the. I see that they added a. We home inspection for a week from now without any reason as to why there is a second inspection
Might want to call them just in case. They could have things mixed up as well, left arm, right arm stuff. :D

Have a PV system. Had a single PW installed by a certified third party with no problem right before pandemic started. A few months later, I ordered a second PW. I'm still waiting 3+ years later. My installer just couldn't get any more PWs. Last week, I received an email from Tesla about the PW rebate. That says to me, widespread PW availability.

I contacted my installer. They had pretty much washed their hands of Tesla. They went through various other manufacturers that did not have quality products. They settled on Enphase batteries as reliable and available. Since I only want want one additional PW and installer has to order in multiple of three as they are only shipped three to a pallet, they told me they're done with Tesla and won't order for me.

Previously, they said they would install if I could obtain a PW myself. Is Tesla actually shipping direct to customers? I've seen some talk of it on this thread. I went to the website. There is an ability to reserve one ($8,700), two ($16,200) or three ($23,700). But the only option is to have a local third party installer contact me. I sent that in. My installer said they also had a customer who ordered a PW from the app and it was delivered to his house. I could not find such an option on the app.

Has anybody had PWs ordered from Tesla and delivered to their house? If so, how many and how recently?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought of this question:
When adding more PW will the Gateway charge the new, low charged battery first or split any charging equally between batteries regardless of the
state of charge in batteries?
It charges individually based on the information each Powerwall provides to the gateway through its data connection. You can see the individual stats from the gateway API pull (or from Powerwall Dashboard).

1694693352654.png

Anyone recently purchased PWs in the Texas ERCOT based utilities, specifically in the Houston TX area (although will likely apply to any Texas provider except locked-in/coops)? Would my recent purchase of a MYLR and ability to change to Tesla's energy contract at any time make this attractive? Any economic analysis information with and without solar would be interesting to me.

I recently sold my Nissan Leaf SV+ because I'm tired of waiting on a commercial V2X solution that is sanctioned by Nissan. What I got for it was much lower than the equivalent value of the contained energy storage compared to installing PWs (for me) - even after the fed incentives. Being retired, having a mobile storage unit is just fine.

Anyone recently purchased PWs in the Texas ERCOT based utilities, specifically in the Houston TX area (although will likely apply to any Texas provider except locked-in/coops)? Would my recent purchase of a MYLR and ability to change to Tesla's energy contract at any time make this attractive? Any economic analysis information with and without solar would be interesting to me.

I recently sold my Nissan Leaf SV+ because I'm tired of waiting on a commercial V2X solution that is sanctioned by Nissan. What I got for it was much lower than the equivalent value of the contained energy storage compared to installing PWs (for me) - even after the fed incentives. Being retired, having a mobile storage unit is just fine.

I dont have any economical analysis, but since you mentioned both "V2X" and "mobile storage unit", I will tell you that not only is there no "V2X" for a tesla, none appears to be planned by Tesla either, despite many peoples attempts to "speak it into existence".

Similar to my experience with NIssan - only they have a section in their manual that Nissan itself could not even "speak it into existence". As CHAdeMO has workable protocols for tapping into the DC power/energy (Setec), buying a Leaf purely for energy storage (and occasional vehicular use) would make sense with a robust solar/V2X home based solution. Maybe Enphase will have some success eventually. Dcbel IMO is totally failing.

Circling back to the August posts from @charlesj and @scotsmanswan talking about site visits.

I wonder if either of you (or anyone else) that was in the system in that timeframe has actually seen their project progress. I had my site visits (Chicago suburbs) in August as well and almost immediately had the permits pulled and approved (August 30).

Then...the familiar Tesla tumbleweeds and silence. I poke them every now and then, but the answer is never specific to me, just "Ready to schedule you in the next couple of weeks" and then they ghost me again. I'm used to it...they did the same with the original installation.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a full timeline on an additional powerwall installation that Tesla might have completed recently. If you had a second or third wall added to an existing system and they came in October/November....when did you place the original order? What did your timeline look like?

Circling back to the August posts from @charlesj and @scotsmanswan talking about site visits.

I wonder if either of you (or anyone else) that was in the system in that timeframe has actually seen their project progress. I had my site visits (Chicago suburbs) in August as well and almost immediately had the permits pulled and approved (August 30).

Then...the familiar Tesla tumbleweeds and silence. I poke them every now and then, but the answer is never specific to me, just "Ready to schedule you in the next couple of weeks" and then they ghost me again. I'm used to it...they did the same with the original installation.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a full timeline on an additional powerwall installation that Tesla might have completed recently. If you had a second or third wall added to an existing system and they came in October/November....when did you place the original order? What did your timeline look like?
I had my design rejected by city or so Tesla stated that batteries are no longer allowed in garage. Have a pace in the back of house outside, resubmitted about 3 weeks ago and still waiting. I can only communicate with my handler by email a day after he gets it.
Not happy. I am out of town now until after 28 Nov so for sure it slips into December.