Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF.....Specifically the rockers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just picked up my M3LR on saturday... Loving it. I've done PPF on my last 2 cars and feel that for my commute (largely interstate miles each day) it did help.
I'm pretty set on getting the hood, bumper, and fenders covered with paint protection film. My question is regarding the rockers.
What has been your experience with chips on the rockers? I see some comments about getting sand blasted but wanted to at least ask. The premium for the rocker ppf seems pricey it adds $500 total to the cost.

I saw some folks comment on use of mud flaps to reduce rocker chips which I could see helping at least a marginal amount.
I have a old truck that I will often drive in the winter time if roads are real nasty. Logic there is more likely to have an accident or get run into in the nasty snow and would rather have that happen to an old truck than my nice car. So winter time salt and sand while not 0 concern is very low.

The need for PPF on the rockers is more of a necessity on the Y then the 3.
You could get front splash guards for the 3 to help cut down on the chances of kick up on the rockers.
Paying $500 for rocker PPF is a ripoff. You can buy the rocker panel PPF from Tesla for $50 and install it yourself in 5 minutes. It’s a flat area and not that hard to do. Definitely don’t pay $500 for it.

I would highly recommend rocker panel ppf. I've seen cars with the paint completely worn off in front of the rear wheels. I have both mud flaps and ppf, the mud flaps didn't do much to reduce the material impacts. I did the ppf myself with this kit.