Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Practical jump starting solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since my 12V battery died unexpectedly, I’ve been thinking what I could do to better deal with the situation if it happened again in the future. My first thought of course was to keep a portable jump starter in the frunk. But then I thought if the 12V battery were to die, how would I be able to open the frunk?

It seems the solution would be to jump the wires in the toe eye. But what would you jump it with? I’ve read that you could do it with a 9V battery. That’s great. But where would you keep the 9V battery? I wouldn’t want to constantly carry it in my pocket. So the ideal solution to me would be to store it in the car in an area that would still be accessible from the outside if the car were to die while being locked. Why not inside the toe eye area?

Is there a problem with doing this? Does some kind of mounting solution currently exist? Is there a better solution?

Ever since my 12V battery died unexpectedly, I’ve been thinking what I could do to better deal with the situation if it happened again in the future. My first thought of course was to keep a portable jump starter in the frunk. But then I thought if the 12V battery were to die, how would I be able to open the frunk?

It seems the solution would be to jump the wires in the toe eye. But what would you jump it with? I’ve read that you could do it with a 9V battery. That’s great. But where would you keep the 9V battery? I wouldn’t want to constantly carry it in my pocket. So the ideal solution to me would be to store it in the car in an area that would still be accessible from the outside if the car were to die while being locked. Why not inside the toe eye area?

Is there a problem with doing this? Does some kind of mounting solution currently exist? Is there a better solution?
Buy an A23 battery. It's about half the size of a AA battery but delivers 12V and enough current to open the frunk latch. I wrapped mine in plastic and twist-tied it to the wires behind the tow hook access panel.

Reactions: jmaddr
Upvote 0
It seems the solution would be to jump the wires in the toe eye. But what would you jump it with? I’ve read that you could do it with a 9V battery.

What you propose is to supply power directly to the 12v battery, I am doubtful this will work in the MS especially with a small battery and you definately do not want to connect a full size battery in the way your propose. In cars like the M3 and MY that have this setup the wires do not go to the battery, but to a circuit for the frunk. There is also some sort of relay protection that prevents this from working if the battery has any power (theft prevention).

Just learn how to do it manully (page 25):

Last edited:
Upvote 0