Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-3rd Party Purchase Sanity Check on 2014 MS 85 with 37k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I am new to this forum and new to Teslas/EVs in-general. I have been looking around for 2014-2016 Model S cars (these seem to be the only models within my comfortable price range) and recently came across a car that seems to be a pretty good deal that is located at a reputable dealer just 3 miles away from my house.

I put a deposit down to hold the car, but wanted (and really need!) input from the MS community before officially pulling the trigger.

The car is a 2014 Model S 85 with 37k miles on it. The car has the OEM 19" rims and brand new Michelin Primacy tires all around. The car was built in January 2014, so it does not have parking sensors or autopilot. The car does have the tech package, but not a moonroof. The interior is somewhat basic - all black leather with piano black trim. The exterior color is silver, but it has a red metallic 3M wrap that I like. At full capacity, the dashboard showed a range of 250 miles. Condition of the car is very good to excellent.

The agreed upon price ended up coming to $35,000. The dealer also gave me a great offer on a trade-in. I test drove the car for a few hours and it seemed rock-solid. The car felt incredibly fast to me and seemed to have more than enough power (I can't imagine the power of the P version or higher output models!).

I only average around 20 miles total every day with mostly back/forth trips around the neighborhood, so I am thinking for me the autopilot system is more of a 'nice to have' than a 'need to have'. Living in the south, I keep the moonroof shades closed on my cars to keep them cooler, so I do not have the pano-roof on my must-have list. I do enjoy parking sensors, so this is a feature I wish this car had (side note- can someone confirm if the early 2014 cars have any proximity sensors in the black 'nose' piece?).

What does everyone think? Is this a deal strong enough to take a few shortcomings option-wise? Are more highly optioned 2014+ 85+ MS low mile cars likely to fall into the low-to-mid $30k range any time soon? Is there anything about this vintage car that would make a deal a non-starter regardless of price?

I very much appreciate everyone's feedback!

Reactions: IdaX
Why are you looking at a S instead of a new model 3? But i'd personally buy from Tesla since at minimum you get a 2 year warranty.

Mostly due to price. I am aiming to stay in the low to mid $30k range for this particular vehicle. I believe the Model 3 would put me a decent amount higher OTD, right?

I forgot to mention, the car also has the updated LTE cellular connectivity.

Sounds like a really nice Model S at a good price. Being so close to you makes the buying experience pretty easy, and since they are offering you a good price for your trade it should be a pretty easy transaction.

Since it meets your budget, and has all the Tesla goodness with new tires as well, it might be the right car for you.

It should not depreciate much and if you later decide you want a newer car with autopilot and a full warranty, it should bring you close to the same price when you sell it.

Reactions: darxsys and IdaX
I think that if the car has the Tech Package it also has parking sensors. Parking sensors were bundled with the Tech Package but became standard with AP1 around Sept. 2014. I think it sounds like a good value, but I have not been keeping up to date on prices. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Thank you all for your input so far! I do appreciate the larger space the Model S affords, particularly with the oversized frunk. Between my wife and I, and our baby, we have a fair amount to haul around every now and again. I also like that the MS has a separate dash/screen over the wheel/two screens - I prefer this over the single large screen the M3 affords.

Re: parking sensors - this particular car does not have those typical circular sensors mounted in the bumper. I wasn't sure if that black piece within the front bumper contained any sort of proximity sensors.

Uncle Paul - your line of thought is similar to mine. Given the lower miles that I will be driving, my goal is to get a good enough deal that will lessen depreciation over the next couple of years before I buy a newer car.

I haven't driven a M3 - it doesn't look too much smaller in pictures. I would be open to checking one out - I didn't realize Tesla offered inventory deals and/or other incentives that could drive the cost of the car into the low to mid 30s.

Thank you all for your input so far! I do appreciate the larger space the Model S affords, particularly with the oversized frunk. Between my wife and I, and our baby, we have a fair amount to haul around every now and again. I also like that the MS has a separate dash/screen over the wheel/two screens - I prefer this over the single large screen the M3 affords.

Re: parking sensors - this particular car does not have those typical circular sensors mounted in the bumper. I wasn't sure if that black piece within the front bumper contained any sort of proximity sensors.

Uncle Paul - your line of thought is similar to mine. Given the lower miles that I will be driving, my goal is to get a good enough deal that will lessen depreciation over the next couple of years before I buy a newer car.

I haven't driven a M3 - it doesn't look too much smaller in pictures. I would be open to checking one out - I didn't realize Tesla offered inventory deals and/or other incentives that could drive the cost of the car into the low to mid 30s.

common failure items on pre AP p85s (or any 85) are:

door handles (all of them)
tpms sensors (all of them and the reciever)
MCU de lamination
MCU nand flash memory logging issues (causes failures on the memory due to overuse)
excessive tire wear due to bad rear camber under-toe
half shaft failures and "clunks" in the drive unit (there was a revision, but it didnt come out till 2015ish, so if the 2014 has had it replaced that would be helpful)

demundus - thank you for cataloging common issues. I haven't noticed any of the aforementioned issues in my time with the car - would it be possible to check pre-purchase to see if these might be an issue with this particular car?

From my understanding, the only issue that could be covered under the remaining warranty would be the half shaft failures and clunks. Is it possible to extend the initial 4yr warranty after it has expired to have coverage of the other issues?

demundus - thank you for cataloging common issues. I haven't noticed any of the aforementioned issues in my time with the car - would it be possible to check pre-purchase to see if these might be an issue with this particular car?

From my understanding, the only issue that could be covered under the remaining warranty would be the half shaft failures and clunks. Is it possible to extend the initial 4yr warranty after it has expired to have coverage of the other issues?
Only by the original owner. Tesla wont tell you prepurchase anything thats happened in the past, they are even dicey about giving current owners "print outs" of performed work. Ask the current owner about this, if its a dealership you're screwed, if its already 2nd owner, you're screwed.

Only by the original owner. Tesla wont tell you prepurchase anything thats happened in the past, they are even dicey about giving current owners "print outs" of performed work. Ask the current owner about this, if its a dealership you're screwed, if its already 2nd owner, you're screwed.

Got it, unfortunately it is a 1-owner car that is being sold by a dealer. Given that it has LTE data, work has obviously been done to the car - it is unfortunate that Tesla will not provide vin-based reports even if you are a verified owner.

But I think your points underscore the reason why a deal needs to be rock solid to make sense. Given the unknowns relative to what the prior owner did or didn't do, one would expect a very competitive price to make taking the risk worth it. As I mentioned, everything about the car seemed solid in my time with it and, based on experience, I trust this particular dealer to stand by the car. I just wanted to make sure that under a 'worst case scenario' that I am getting a good enough deal to be able to stomach an unforeseen repair or two (hopefully not three or four :))

Got it, unfortunately it is a 1-owner car that is being sold by a dealer. Given that it has LTE data, work has obviously been done to the car - it is unfortunate that Tesla will not provide vin-based reports even if you are a verified owner.

But I think your points underscore the reason why a deal needs to be rock solid to make sense. Given the unknowns relative to what the prior owner did or didn't do, one would expect a very competitive price to make taking the risk worth it. As I mentioned, everything about the car seemed solid in my time with it and, based on experience, I trust this particular dealer to stand by the car. I just wanted to make sure that under a 'worst case scenario' that I am getting a good enough deal to be able to stomach an unforeseen repair or two (hopefully not three or four :))

LTE was only a few hundred bucks as an upgrade, some folks used it as a screen replacement bargaining chip (ill buy LTE, replace the screen while you're in there). I have 140K miles on my 2013 and had my 5th door handle failure a few weeks ago, had to replace it myself. TPMS has been fine with the new antenna. Its a gamble on the pre 2015/16's but its a good car for 30k

Personally was in the same situation and for the same price or a little more you can buy straight from Tesla and get a 2 year warranty in your price range. Before pulling the trigger you may want to look at ev-CPO.com. Right now there is only 1 below 40 (p85) but last week there were 8 below 40 all the way down to 34 I think (and all came with 2 year used warranty’s)

Reactions: maximizese
Personally was in the same situation and for the same price or a little more you can buy straight from Tesla and get a 2 year warranty in your price range. Before pulling the trigger you may want to look at ev-CPO.com. Right now there is only 1 below 40 (p85) but last week there were 8 below 40 all the way down to 34 I think (and all came with 2 year used warranty’s)

I must have been checking that EV CPO site at the wrong times - I haven't seen cars drop below $40k when checking, although I just checked this morning and there were two 2014 MS 85's available and one 2013 P85 within my price range.

One of the 2014 MS 85's had autopilot, air suspension, and most other primary options with 47k miles at a price of $38.7k, but that car sold within a few hours of being posted.

I am now zeroed in on a 2014 MS 85 on the Tesla site with 32k miles and a number of options (premium sound, subzero, tech package, glass roof, performance seats, etc) for $37.6k. At this price, this particular car seems to be a much better deal than the 3rd party car I am looking at.

Believe the door handle issue has aftermarket DIY inexpensive solution.

Some companies make available most of the parts that go bad at low prices. Instructions are available for owners wanting to fix it themselves. Under warranty,

Tesla usually just replaced the entire unit. An expensive fix, but not necessary for someone on a budget.

Believe the door handle issue has aftermarket DIY inexpensive solution.

Some companies make available most of the parts that go bad at low prices. Instructions are available for owners wanting to fix it themselves. Under warranty,

Tesla usually just replaced the entire unit. An expensive fix, but not necessary for someone on a budget.

The issue is the very thin non-weather rated wires that power the solenoids to push/pull the door handle out. the aftermarket fix is a new wire kit that you can replace yourself. If you haven't done it before its frustrating and not a fun fix. I've done two or three and i friggin hate it, aligning it with the door so its flush, and getting the TOP bolt on are so annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxgod