Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Delivery Proof of Insurance - Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up a MYLR on Saturday and Tesla is requiring proof of insurance on the MY before I purchase it. I've never insured a car I don't own (other than driving someone else's covered by my own insurance or a rental). Any way around this? I'll gladly purchase the insurance on Saturday (as I've planned to do) but would rather not pay to insure the car before I accept delivery. Anyone with similar experience in Texas that can chime in? TIA.

Call your current insurance agent to ask about your current car insurance policy. In MOST cases, you are automatically covered for a newly purchased vehicle with the same coverage as your existing policy. This is generally for something on the 1 week time frame. In those cases, upload your insurance information for your current vehicle to make Tesla happy.

Again, this is a policy-specific coverage. YOU MUST VERIFY THAT YOUR CURRENT POLICY HAS THIS FEATURE!

You have had to prove you had insurance before driving any previous vehicle off a dealer’s lot. There is nothing special about buying a Tesla in this case.

I'm guessing you've already taken care of this. The reason you need it prior to delivery is because you need it to get the 30 temp tag in Texas. I'm in TX so I know what you are talking about. Tesla won't let you take delivery unless you show proof of insurance. Also, they have to do the paper work for the temp tag at least 2 days prior. In order to get the temp tag, you have to show proof of coverage.

Picking up a MYLR on Saturday and Tesla is requiring proof of insurance on the MY before I purchase it. I've never insured a car I don't own (other than driving someone else's covered by my own insurance or a rental). Any way around this? I'll gladly purchase the insurance on Saturday (as I've planned to do) but would rather not pay to insure the car before I accept delivery. Anyone with similar experience in Texas that can chime in? TIA.
With most dealers the dealer will print the temporary tag, I think. So they just look at your proof of insurance for your current car(s) and give you the temporary tag in the dealership. (otherwise people can never walk into a dealership and drive out in a new/used car in an hour).
But here, it appears that Tesla sends the paperwork to Texas DMV to get that paper.

If you have current coverage for other vehicle here is what Texas Department of Insurance has to say.