TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pre-owned Roasters price change?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by SkyKidFalken, Jun 5, 2013.

1. SkyKidFalken

SkyKidFalken TSLA Fanboy

#1 SkyKidFalken, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Hello

I noticed that some pre-owned roadsters disappeared from the Tesla website, including that lighting green roadster sport 2.5 which I really wanted Some others got a major price drop. One of the most expensive custom colored roadster was 120K+ and now 100k. Anyone knows whats going on?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I was checking on the website few hours ago and suddenly the price changed and some roadsters disappeared.

2. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

#2 djp, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    The lightning green was my favourite one on the site too, the black carbon fibre accents look amazing against that colour.

Tesla has promised to make Roadsters available in the service loaner program, so if they haven't been sold they're probably out as loaners.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Wow and you are right there is a nice price drop (if you are buying) not so nice if you already had one. My guess is simply supply and demand in that not many people were biting at the prices they had posted. I can't think of another reason. I have read here of several owners who wanted at least X price but after a few months settled for .8X.

Hopefully for us owners the prices have about bottomed out and will start to rise as they become a relatively rare collector car.

4. sledhead36

sledhead36 Member

Not sure, but that Roadster was mine. Traded it in when I got my Model S.

5. SkyKidFalken

SkyKidFalken TSLA Fanboy

I really hope so. Damn I really like that green color! :biggrin::biggrin:

6. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

It's sad to see a roadster with less miles, same year and same features, and three year warranty for $6,000 less than I payed five months ago for an out of warranty one.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome to the forums. Since you didn't volunteer them, I'll try to tease some out of you...

Can we see some glamour shots of this green beauty?

8. Adrian Cockcroft

I'm looking for a second hand roadster, does anyone know the history of the Green one on the Tesla site Certified Pre-Owned | Tesla Motors

It appears to be VIN #281 California license "PV EV". 5 years old and only 13000 miles, any views on how the battery lasts if it isn't used much?

We've owned a Lotus Elise for ~10 years and a Leaf for 2 years, so we know what we're getting into in general.

Cheers Adrian

9. augkuo

augkuo Member

Look at the ideal miles when it's fully charged and that will tell you the health of the battery. Here's a survey of a bunch of roadsters with their ideal mileage, year built and mileage -

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/tesla-roadster/vehicles.php?order=built

10. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Wow! Prices are coming down on the roadsters. If Tesla was selling that car six months ago, I'll bet they would have been asking 70-75K. In November I bought #107 from a private party for $57,450 with 24,500 miles and no warranty! No regrets, I expected prices to drop and I wanted the car bad! :biggrin: It's been a fun six months.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be too worried about lack of use of the battery. Most of these car have low mileage. I'm pretty sure you'll be getting a good battery buying from Tesla. You can probably get them to send you a picture of the screen showing the ideal miles or at least an answer to your questions. If you are serious about the car, I would think you could get a roadster owner in the area to check it out for you.

Good luck! Love the color! (just like mine) :biggrin:

11. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

I asked tesla to give me a quote for roadster trade in a couple of days ago.

First offer (sept 2012) was $67k
    Current offer (June 2013) is $36k

Not sure what's going on but those are the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

Just saw this pre-owned 2011 2.5 on ebay for $68K buy-it-now!
    It looks like it is from Tesla directly and CPO to boot!
    It seems that Tesla is kicking us Roadster owners in the crotch: perhaps this is why the dealers in some states are upset with the direct-sell model ;-)
    Tesla : Roadster 2.5 Base 2.5 Base | eBay

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Funny, I thought they wanted to use some Roadsters for service loaner cars - why sell them off?

14. Smop

Smop Banned

Seems like they are slow sellers at this point. New options/accessories may jump start resale values.

15. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I bet a SuperCharger-compatible battery pack would be a big seller...

16. jee328

jee328 Member

If you don't mind, which model do you own and mileage?

Those numbers are unbelievable.

17. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Had a Roadster loaner today ….what a car…. but I was glad to have my P85 back!

18. rjmcdougall

rjmcdougall New Member

Hi Adrian,

Best way to learn about the batteries is to download the logs via a USB stick and look at the CAC and per-sheet health - happy to help out! Time for a catch up and chinwag about Roadster buying experiences :)

Richard

19. Adrian Cockcroft

Cool, when did you get yours?

20. rjmcdougall

rjmcdougall New Member

Hi - just last month. It's a 2011 model. I was lucky enough to find one which seems to have good battery health - CAC of 157 out of 160 and ideal miles of 185 out of 190. Also there is an option for sport suspension which has adjustable sway bars and shocks -- which IMHO is really important, since the default suspension is a little soft in the front end... It's there on the sport models and optionally on standard models.

Love the green -- it's a hard color to find!

Richard