Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reengineering the Roadster: Custom Battery Upgrade for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

marco2228

... fixing Roadsters
Supporting Member
Hello TMC,

I'm want to introduce a unique project from our workshop: a custom battery pack for the Tesla Roadster.

This journey started four years ago with an incomplete, damaged Roadster 2.5 in my workshop. It was missing an Energy Storage System (ESS), and after sitting 3 years in storage, it ignited an idea to create some truely fun, but also challenging project.

We embarked on building a battery without using any original Roadster parts. This wasn't just for the challenge or sport – it was a critical decision for safety and compatibility. Using cells with different chemistries means a corresponding, correctly calibrated Battery Management System (BMS) is essential. This ensured we avoided the risks of mismatching cell chemistry with the existing, incorrect Roadster BMS.

After meticulous wiring analysis, CAD design, welding, and assembly, we constructed a unique structure. We used Porsche Taycan Modules in a custom steel frame, only reusing the HVAC connector from a deep discharged Roadster pack.

Avoiding the typical Roadster ESS Design, we steered clear of using 18650 cells and the complex task of over 27,000 welding points. Our choice of OEM modules brings reliability and efficiency to this build.

The result, after fail-fast-debugging and a bit of repairing, is nothing short of exciting – a Roadster that's potentially the quickest on the planet, with a significant decrease in voltage drop under load, car weight of 1080 kg and weight destribution shifted a bit to the front. We're still exploring the limits of this setup.

We're nearing the completion of a new CAD design to simplify manufacturing and introduce water cooling for the Taycan Modules. This design will fit perfectly into the original battery box and also enable fastcharging.

With Tesla's recent release of CAN information, we're excited to delve deeper into diagnostics and further refine our approach.

As we continue, a big question remains: Should we stick with Taycan Modules, or explore other options? Your insights on this would be highly appreciated.

Added some pictures of the build progress and also of a testdrive (not the quickest one though, but the one with the best data. Car was loaded with tall 2 guys, ~ 170 kg and cells were 10 °C cold)

01_TESS_CAD.jpg
02_TESS_testfit.jpg
03_TESS_assembly.jpg
04_TESS_pack_installed.jpg

05_TESS-drivingRoadster.jpg
06_TESS_ finallyCharging.jpg
07_TESS_0-100_graph.JPG

Very exciting developments, @marco2228 👍 What are the target performance improvements you're aiming for with the new pack? Is it also safe to assume the motor has not been modified? And how about increased range? As for the batteries themselves, will 4680 be an option?

Hello TMC,

I'm want to introduce a unique project from our workshop: a custom battery pack for the Tesla Roadster.

This journey started four years ago with an incomplete, damaged Roadster 2.5 in my workshop. It was missing an Energy Storage System (ESS), and after sitting 3 years in storage, it ignited an idea to create some truely fun, but also challenging project.

We embarked on building a battery without using any original Roadster parts. This wasn't just for the challenge or sport – it was a critical decision for safety and compatibility. Using cells with different chemistries means a corresponding, correctly calibrated Battery Management System (BMS) is essential. This ensured we avoided the risks of mismatching cell chemistry with the existing, incorrect Roadster BMS.

After meticulous wiring analysis, CAD design, welding, and assembly, we constructed a unique structure. We used Porsche Taycan Modules in a custom steel frame, only reusing the HVAC connector from a deep discharged Roadster pack.

Avoiding the typical Roadster ESS Design, we steered clear of using 18650 cells and the complex task of over 27,000 welding points. Our choice of OEM modules brings reliability and efficiency to this build.

The result, after fail-fast-debugging and a bit of repairing, is nothing short of exciting – a Roadster that's potentially the quickest on the planet, with a significant decrease in voltage drop under load, car weight of 1080 kg and weight destribution shifted a bit to the front. We're still exploring the limits of this setup.

We're nearing the completion of a new CAD design to simplify manufacturing and introduce water cooling for the Taycan Modules. This design will fit perfectly into the original battery box and also enable fastcharging.

With Tesla's recent release of CAN information, we're excited to delve deeper into diagnostics and further refine our approach.

As we continue, a big question remains: Should we stick with Taycan Modules, or explore other options? Your insights on this would be highly appreciated.

Added some pictures of the build progress and also of a testdrive (not the quickest one though, but the one with the best data. Car was loaded with tall 2 guys, ~ 170 kg and cells were 10 °C cold)

View attachment 993719
View attachment 993720
View attachment 993721
View attachment 993722

View attachment 993723
View attachment 993724
View attachment 993725
Great work @marco2228 ....the Taycan battery form factor looks like a good choice. Would make more sense to use something similar from Tesla as they would probably be more abundant and perhaps cheaper but I'm no expert and not sure if anything even exists. How difficult and pricey is it to acquire Taycan packs??

I'm curious to know how big this pack is and if it's expandable...you seem to have more room on the rack. Also....what about thermal management? Does the Taycan not employ thermal management of their power pack?

Last edited:
Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for your work and for sharing the possibility of future upgrades when things fail and no one at Tesla remembers how to do this work anymore. This is pioneering work for those days ahead.

Very exciting developments, @marco2228 👍 What are the target performance improvements you're aiming for with the new pack? Is it also safe to assume the motor has not been modified? And how about increased range? As for the batteries themselves, will 4680 be an option?
Didn't set any performance targets. The goal of this project was/is to use a complete different Battery with its own Batterymanagement, well integrated into the original system, so including all error messages, etc.. Of course also had an eye on the performance, but that wasnt the main focus.
Range will be a bit less than with the original ESS, as this batteries capacity is around 85% of the original one. 4680 is a good idea, will also keep it in mind. Assembly would be much better than its for 18650, but not as simple as with other OEM Modules.

Reactions: Roadster
Great work @marco2228 ....the Taycan battery form factor looks like a good choice. Would make more sense to use something similar from Tesla as they would probably be more abundant and perhaps cheaper but I'm no expert and not sure if anything even exists. How difficult and pricey is it to acquire Taycan packs??

I'm curious to know how big this pack is and if it's expandable...you seem to have more room on the rack. Also....what about thermal management? Does the Taycan not employ thermal management of their power pack?
Taycan packs are more or less good to get, thats no problem :)
It would be possible to get more kWh into the battery pack, but I thought I'd prefer the lighter pack vs. the longer range. Might use the available space for a 3 phase charger to make charging more comfortable in Europe, but not sure if it makes sense to add a 2nd charger, as the PEM is there already.
These modules seem to be fine without cooling. But for a proper pack design, cooling has to be added anyway. So the next revision of the pack will have water-cooled modules. Then also fast charging can/will be added.

This is exciting. I got my 3.0 battery about 2 years ago after waiting over a year (cell on a sheet of original pack failed at 8.5 years but I had pre-purchased first replacement battery). I know this one won't last forever, so knowing there will be options down the road with fast charging is great!

Reactions: hcsharp
Did anything happen with this project?
Yep, we've been testing it since November. Most works fine without any Tesla component in the pack now.
Some known issues still are there, for which we need to change the implementation a bit, but nothing serious.
Known issues are very specific things, like turning on the car while the cabin heater is turned on. For this case we need to find out how to shut down the heater load before turning on the pack, otherwise the precharge procedure obviously fails ... So nothing too serious, imo.

So the basic plan, the worst possible case (in case no ECU or batteries from Tesla were available) would be covered, as we didnt use any Tesla part in this project.
We now will add back some things like using the original Roadster enclosure and APS, also make the system plug and play with the original wiring harness, etc, etc...

The initial test-pack is out of the car again since last week (picture below). The 2nd version is being assembled and will go into the car within the next weeks.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-22 um 11.41.50.png