Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Precondition and phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bouba

Sep 23, 2021
France
As a gentleman of leisure I don’t follow a regular schedule....so when I need to go somewhere I set the precondition in my app. The trouble is I keep forgetting to cancel it...so if my car is parked somewhere unused and unplugged it starts wasting battery preconditioning every day at the same time.
The other thing is if I’m charging my phone in the car...I can park and walk out of my car without my phone and without the car locking itself.
What I would like is the clever people at Tesla to put some kind of warning to warn me....like the car yelling ‘Hey, you left your phone, idiot!’.....we could call it Idiot Mode

I’m a new Tesla owner and both of these are my biggest points of confusion, too— not a gentleman of leisure, but my car thinks I am as I currently work from home. :)

For preconditioning, I’ve bee working on phrasing this exact question for this forum, as previous posts I’ve seen thus far seem to steer discussion into either preconditioning en route to a Supercharger, or preconditioning the cabin temperature prior to departure. I realize that climate and battery temp. control are parts of the same system, but I’ve found little info re. how long preconditioning the battery takes starting at a given temperature, or if there’s a temp. above which I shouldn’t even worry about it. (I live in Florida with two weeks of so-called winter.) Ideally, would be nice to just tell Siri, “Prepare for departure in 15 minutes.”

Coming from a 2010 Honda with buttons, knobs, and old-school analog instruments, it’s quite the adjustment not to have manual control of lights, locks, etc. — like going straight from rotary dial to an iPhone. Configuring the Tesla to confirm auto-locking with a beep is the closest thing I’ve found for a reminder to grab my phone. An idiot feature as you described would be a plus.