Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preliminary test drive with track mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Page Mill Road
Highway 9
Highway 35
(insert your favorite twisty mountain road here)
Brake fade is not a fun experience on a fast downhill section. Also remember that the traction control is always adding heat to the brakes during high performance driving, and you may not recognize this heat because it doesn't come from your brake pedal.
Additionally it makes sense to turn regen to low if you are getting power limited due to heat. This puts even more stress on the brakes.

First stopping power will be extremely similar between stock and PUP, its the 10th stop that I am addressing.

I love my Tesla as a daily but this is still more of a magnificent experience when there is extra time on my hands ;)
9A259180-1B41-4645-B3FE-2C74C5C28F2F.jpeg

304663EB-A666-4B3A-B08D-73C4AA7908A0.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Additionally it makes sense to turn regen to low if you are getting power limited due to heat. This puts even more stress on the brakes.
Originally I though so too but I did some tests on mountain roads and noticed no change in power limitation due to heat when putting car in low regen mode. The car heat soaks just as fast. The was no discernible difference so I am now opting to keep the normal regen to save the brakes a little.

How I tested was taking the same 20 min mountain ride on two different days so the car is fresh from an overnight cool down. I live right next to this road. Same outside temperature and did it a 1AM so no cars would be in front of me slowing me down. The heat soak dots (4 dots) came at the exact same spot (after 7 min.) in the course under both scenarios.