Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity data speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what was the result?

The video is only 2:40, but if that's really tl;dw the Tesla AT&T is about 3x faster than Verizon and 9x slower than T-Mobile (for downloads, which is what matters). In that one specific location.

So if you live exactly where MelGeek lives (and never drive out of that cell) that's the speed you can expect. It's interesting enough to me that I watched the whole video, so apparently I'm glad MelGeek did the test (thanks!). But if you want to know how YMMV (Your Megabits May Vary), you'd have to make multiple measurements across the country at various times of day/week, in various weather conditions. So the test is of limited use for any given person's situation. Same as any test of cellular data rates, really.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The video is only 2:40, but if that's really tl;dw the Tesla AT&T is about 3x faster than Verizon and 9x slower than T-Mobile (for downloads, which is what matters). In that one specific location.

So if you live exactly where MelGeek lives (and never drive out of that cell) that's the speed you can expect. It's interesting enough to me that I watched the whole video, so apparently I'm glad MelGeek did the test (thanks!). But if you want to know how YMMV (Your Megabits May Vary), you'd have to make multiple measurements across the country at various times of day/week, in various weather conditions. So the test is of limited use for any given person's situation. Same as any test of cellular data rates, really.

Shouldn’t bury the lead in a video, is my view. Call it a pet peeve.

My last test, using the Speedtest app, on Verizon 5G was 140 Mbps down and 69.6 Mbps up on an iPhone 12. That's the best I've seen but it varies all the way down to around 65 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up on average. Much faster than the AT&T LTE connection in the Tesla Model Y.

Have to take these mobile speed tests with a grain of salt since they can be highly variable depending on your location.

WOW! Those Verizon numbers are great.

AT&T LTE in the Bay Area is slow probably due to being severely overloaded and coverage is poor. I lose service frequently when I go up into the mountains. :mad:

My last test, using the Speedtest app, on Verizon 5G was 140 Mbps down and 69.6 Mbps up on an iPhone 12. That's the best I've seen but it varies all the way down to around 65 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up on average. Much faster than the AT&T LTE connection in the Tesla Model Y.

Have to take these mobile speed tests with a grain of salt since they can be highly variable depending on your location.

So far without premium connectivity and using version 4g mifi. The music seems to loud faster as does the internet
yes the traffic maps are missing, but fortunately my phone has 4 apps that will do that, and i have used tesla waze book marked