Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2019 3 and a 2017 S. The Premium Connectivity (traffic visualiztion) works great on the 3 and is non existent on the S. We bought the S new in 2017 and from what I read we should get the service for free for life with this car------any ideas on how we can get the traffic visualiztion for the S would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I presume you've have actually turned on traffic visualization on the main navigation screen? Touch the screen, in the lower right will be three icons show, a globe, stoplight, and lightning bolt. The traffic light one should be bold if traffic visualization is turned on. If it's grayed out, then it's off.

Do you get streaming radio (Tune-in, Spotify)? If you have those, then that would suggest you are getting premium connectivity services.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
PCMc---just curious. What are the other two icons for?
Globe turns on satellite view (versus just road map).

Lightning bolt will pull up a listing of the nearest supercharger options and zoom the map so you can see ones in your general area. The ones which NAV things you can reach are shown in bold red icons; the ones which is sees as outside your current range are is faded red. This can be handy when your trying to plan you next charging location.

You should also be able to confirm directly on you Tesla account page on-line that you have premium connectivity. If you log into your My Account Page, go to the Manage link by the car icon, and then the Details link, it will pop up a Car Details page. On the left side it will list Specs and you should see something like Premium Connectivity, Free Unlimited

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
PCMc----great information. Thank you. Prior to posting we did what you outlined above and saw the car had the free lifetime Premium Connectivity, but we couldn't find any information on how to activate the Traffic Visualization. We thought that it got disconnected somehow---maybe with the updates or when we re-booted or something. As a result, I decided to try posting on this Forum. And you came through for us! People like you are what makes this Forum so helpful---thank you. And thank you for your patience.

PCMc, your answers above are going to be a big help as we are going on a trip in two weeks, and we know that 3-5 areas will have traffic backups. Now we will be able to see on the screen just how bad things will be without having to use WAVES on my wife's phone. And, the super charger information you explained how to access will provide great piece of mind to both of us.

Upvote 0
PCMc----great information. Thank you. Prior to posting we did what you outlined above and saw the car had the free lifetime Premium Connectivity, but we couldn't find any information on how to activate the Traffic Visualization. We thought that it got disconnected somehow---maybe with the updates or when we re-booted or something. As a result, I decided to try posting on this Forum. And you came through for us! People like you are what makes this Forum so helpful---thank you. And thank you for your patience.

PCMc, your answers above are going to be a big help as we are going on a trip in two weeks, and we know that 3-5 areas will have traffic backups. Now we will be able to see on the screen just how bad things will be without having to use WAVES on my wife's phone. And, the super charger information you explained how to access will provide great piece of mind to both of us.
Glad I was able to help.

I get the sense this might be your first long road trip? If so, the Tesla navigation system is generally quite good at projecting energy use and recommending charging stops, but sometimes people like to pick their own charging locations based upon what options for food, etc., might be in the area. There are a couple of tools you can use to look at this in advance; evtripplanner.com and abetterrouteplanner.com. Both will allow you to put in your car specification and then map out your route. They will give you a suggested routing, but you can manually play around with different scenarios for where you stop to charge with it showing predictions for energy use and time to charge. They also are nice because they will allow you to plug in intermediate waypoints, something the on-screen navigation in the car does not allow.

Personally, I find evtripplanner a little easier to use, but that's because I started using it first and am more familiar with it. It hasn't had any real development for a long time, so doesn't have options for some of the newer car specs. ABRP (a better route planner) tends to be the one most commonly recommended now. I am not knocking ABRP in any way, I've used it some, but I still go back to evtripplanner as my default tool for planning because my familiarity with it makes it more intuitive for me to use.

Enjoy your trip and all goes smoothly for you.

Upvote 0