Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used 2018 Model S a few months ago that originally had the Premium Upgrades Package. My Premium Connectivity seens to have "expired" and I am being asked to subscribe to it. Does anyone know if the Premium Connectivity was part of the original upgrade package or was it a subsequent add-on?
Thanks!

Who did you buy the car from, Tesla or 3rd party (Dealership, CarMax, Carvana, etc) ?
Lots of good information on the Official Tesla page with a really good FAQ Section--> Connectivity

1657737266391.png

"All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla app."

I've heard this lasting longer in same cases as Tesla forgot to turn it off for a while giving people an additional 2-3 months for free. That may be your case if you bought the car directly from Tesla.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It should transfer assuming it originally had free Premium Connectivity from the original owner, or at least that is how I read it:

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars that are eligible for Premium Connectivity according to the above mentioned table, purchased on or before January 8, 2020, will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
It should transfer assuming it originally had free Premium Connectivity from the original owner, or at least that is how I read it:

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars that are eligible for Premium Connectivity according to the above mentioned table, purchased on or before January 8, 2020, will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).
I agree, yet the person that bought my son's 2018 X got screwed out of it even after escalating it a couple times. Weird.

Upvote 0
I agree, yet the person that bought my son's 2018 X got screwed out of it even after escalating it a couple times. Weird.
I think I have figured this out. If you bought a USED Tesla WITH Premium Connectivity BEFORE Jan 8, 2020, it continues for the life of the car. However. I bought mine after that date so it's only "eligible" for PC. Thanks all!

Upvote 0
I think I have figured this out. If you bought a USED Tesla WITH Premium Connectivity BEFORE Jan 8, 2020, it continues for the life of the car. However. I bought mine after that date so it's only "eligible" for PC. Thanks all!
Ah, that makes a lot of sense !!! The person that bought my son's car was directly from him and bought just a few months ago. Tesla told my son in advance that the new owner would have to subscribe, so the buyer was not disappointed by thinking he would get it for free. Tesla's written communication sure is ambiguous sometimes.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom and FlyF4
Upvote 0