Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like you're thinking of (1) replacing the base speakers with those from a car with premium sound and (2) adding additional speakers.
(1) Not sure that'll make enough of a difference to be worth the trouble. You'd be going from the 160mm speakers to 200mm speakers in the front doors. Speakers in the rear door are identical between the base and premium cars (same part #).
(2) Adding the subwoofer from a premium audio will be significantly more involved than (1). MCU drives the speakers in cars with base audio. In a car with premium audio (Sound Studio/UHFS), the speakers are driven with an external amplifier. That means to add the subwoofer, you'd need to (a) install the external amp, (b) change the software flag in the MCU from internal to external amp, and (c) rewire existing speakers to the external amp.

IMO, neither option (1) or (2) are worth it. It's been a while since I've driven a 2016-era MS with premium audio, but from what I recall, it didn't sound very good. Certainly better than the base MS audio, but not better than the base M3 system, and certainly worse than the premium M3 system. I found the treble to be harsh and grating; extended listening was quite fatiguing (and I'm certainly not averse to forward, bright treble--I have Klipsch Heresy speakers in my home). Guessing that's the result of the system handling lossy files poorly (e.g., Spotify or Bluetooth audio) which is most of what I listen to while driving.

Have you considered any aftermarket options? I don't have any experience with that, but perhaps others can chime in.

Better off going aftermarket. Best upgrade is getting some midranges in the dash and adding a subwoofer. Tweeters would be next. Front doors make very little difference, but are the easiest and cheapest to upgrade since they are a direct swap. It's a pretty slippery slope though as you need an amp/DSP to start adding more speakers. Don't bother with the rear door speakers.

The LH amp and sub are only compatible if you have the UHFS system.

LH in general kind of skeeves me out. The language they use to describe their products sounds like it is written to appeal to someone who doesn't know anything about audio and just wants to buy the most expensive thing for their new car. Their return policy is also pretty disappointing:

Return & Refund Policy
Thanks for shopping at www.lightharmonic.com. If you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, we're here to help.​
Returns
You have 30 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. <snip>
Restocking Fee
We will charge 10% restocking fee for returns.​
So if you're not satisfied with how the speakers, you can return them (less shipping both ways and 10% of the purchase price), but if you've installed them, they're yours forever. It sounds like they're afraid of someone installing them and finding they weren't worth the price.

At least they offer their midbass speakers in pairs now, though $600 for just a pair of midbass drivers is a lot. It's disappointing that they are still 6.5" and not 8" drivers like the UHFS system.

The LH amp and sub are only compatible if you have the UHFS system.

LH in general kind of skeeves me out. The language they use to describe their products sounds like it is written to appeal to someone who doesn't know anything about audio and just wants to buy the most expensive thing for their new car. Their return policy is also pretty disappointing:

Return & Refund Policy
Thanks for shopping at www.lightharmonic.com. If you are not entirely satisfied with your purchase, we're here to help.​
Returns
You have 30 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. <snip>
Restocking Fee
We will charge 10% restocking fee for returns.​
So if you're not satisfied with how the speakers, you can return them (less shipping both ways and 10% of the purchase price), but if you've installed them, they're yours forever. It sounds like they're afraid of someone installing them and finding they weren't worth the price.

At least they offer their midbass speakers in pairs now, though $600 for just a pair of midbass drivers is a lot. It's disappointing that they are still 6.5" and not 8" drivers like the UHFS system.

I've been in the car stereo arena since the 90's and the return policy seems fine to me. Once you mount and drive a speaker, they have to take the hit and try to sell it "open box demo" style, and with how niche of a product it is, I won't fault them. I agree it's pricey, but it's also 100% plug and play, which absolutely commands a premium. I really only want more sub output. My MSP's system is WAY better than the "premium" 19 speaker Harmon Kardon setup I had in my Hellcat. I just need some more low-end extension.

The plug and play aspect was more valuable before inexpensive speaker and speaker wire adapters were available for the S. Now most any speaker can be plug and play. Since the buyer has to remove the door panel to fit the new speakers anyway, I wouldn't say their customer base is completely hands off.

I haven't had an issue returning used stereo equipment to Crutchfield for a refund since the 90s. I think I

The NVX setup with their amp and subwoofer was a great way to get more low end in a nice looking package without going full custom.

I like the idea of NVX, so I gave them a call. They said their boost box for Tesla was probably my best option. They advised that I speak to a car audio shop, because a car audio shop could give more specifics. The whole Tesla audio system is both different and more complicated than most other vehicles. I'll take their advice and speak to a call a local car audio shop first