Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price for additional panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got my solar layout a little over a week ago for my X-Large - 16.32kW (48 panels) system. The order is also for (4) Powerwalls. When I reviewed the layout it looked like if I added 2 extra panels it would be more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing. The detailed design called for (2) SolarEdge SE7600H-US inverters with 12 panels/optimizers on each string. So I called and asked them about adding the 2 extra panels and they agreed to re-submit to the design people. I just received the new pricing that included the additional 2 panels. I did not receive a new detailed design yet. The new pricing seems odd. For people who have added panels to a standard configuration what were you charged?

Original pricing (48 panels)
Solar Panels $32,800.00 (standard pricing)
4 Powerwalls $29,065.00 Tax & Installation Cost Included
Solar/Powerwall Bundling Discount -$2,500.00
Deposit -$100.00
Total Amount Due $59,265.00

New Pricing Details (50 panels)
Solar Panels $34,166.67
4 Powerwalls $30,562.50 Tax & Installation Cost Included
Deposit -$100.00
Total Amount Due $62,129.17

I can understand the $1366 price difference for the solar panels (it seems a little high but not unreasonable). However I don't understand the $1497 extra for the Powerwalls. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Original and New Layout

Attachments

• Customer Layout_Page 3-4.pdf
    703.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Customer Layout_Page3-4New.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I finally got my solar layout a little over a week ago for my X-Large - 16.32kW (48 panels) system. The order is also for (4) Powerwalls. When I reviewed the layout it looked like if I added 2 extra panels it would be more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing. The detailed design called for (2) SolarEdge SE7600H-US inverters with 12 panels/optimizers on each string. So I called and asked them about adding the 2 extra panels and they agreed to re-submit to the design people. I just received the new pricing that included the additional 2 panels. I did not receive a new detailed design yet. The new pricing seems odd. For people who have added panels to a standard configuration what were you charged?

Original pricing (48 panels)
Solar Panels $32,800.00 (standard pricing)
4 Powerwalls $29,065.00 Tax & Installation Cost Included
Deposit -$100.00
Total Amount Due $59,265.00

New Pricing Details (50 panels)
Solar Panels $34,166.67
4 Powerwalls $30,562.50 Tax & Installation Cost Included
Deposit -$100.00
Total Amount Due $62,129.17

I can understand the $1366 price difference for the solar panels (it seems a little high but not unreasonable). However I don't understand the $1497 extra for the Powerwalls. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Original and New Layout

Taking a quick look at the PDFs you attached, the original backup quote says "whole home backup", while the second one spells out loads. I suspect that on the second quote for some reason they are not quoting you for whole home backup, but charging you for a critical loads panel or some other configuration other than "whole home backup. I suspect you would find that is what the difference is, but i would highly recommend challenging it, especially since the only request you made additional was for 2 more panels.

There shouldnt be any more cost to the powerwall section for adding 2 panels. I could see if they were changing your inverter or something due to the extra panels, but as you mention, increasing the powerwall portion doesnt make much sense given the information you provided.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
During my home assessment last month I asked if I could add two additional panels on the south facing portion of my garage and the tech mentioned panels needed to be added in 3's. He said he would put the request in but mentioned if they can't find a suitable location for the 3rd most likely it would not happen.

Taking a quick look at the PDFs you attached, the original backup quote says "whole home backup", while the second one spells out loads. I suspect that on the second quote for some reason they are not quoting you for whole home backup, but charging you for a critical loads panel or some other configuration other than "whole home backup. I suspect you would find that is what the difference is, but i would highly recommend challenging it, especially since the only request you made additional was for 2 more panels.

There shouldnt be any more cost to the powerwall section for adding 2 panels. I could see if they were changing your inverter or something due to the extra panels, but as you mention, increasing the powerwall portion doesnt make much sense given the information you provided.
Thanks for the keen eye. I hadn't noticed the new quote didn't state "whole home backup". What's odd is that the list of items in the "Loads included in Backup" appear to include everything I have. I spoke with Tesla and it appears that they mistakenly charged me Florida sales tax on the the Powerwalls (again!). I did ask about the whole home backup being changed to loads included in backup and they said that they didn't know why it was changed and that it might not really be a change and they just decided to list everything I have. I'll just have to wait again to get this resolved. I have been pleased that I am able to reach Tesla by phone with no trouble but apparently the project advisors can't really do anything themselves except pass on the info to higher level people. You would think they would at least be able to fix a sales tax issue by themselves but apparently not.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the keen eye. I hadn't noticed the new quote didn't state "whole home backup". What's odd is that the list of items in the "Loads included in Backup" appear to include everything I have. I spoke with Tesla and it appears that they mistakenly charged me Florida sales tax on the the Powerwalls (again!). I did ask about the whole home backup being changed to loads included in backup and they said that they didn't know why it was changed and that it might not really be a change and they just decided to list everything I have. I'll just have to wait again to get this resolved. I have been pleased that I am able to reach Tesla by phone with no trouble but apparently the project advisors can't really do anything themselves except pass on the info to higher level people. You would think they would at least be able to fix a sales tax issue by themselves but apparently not.

Let us know how it comes out.