Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing model for used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I try to find a used Model 3, I have hard time figuring out if a used Model 3 listing is overpriced or not. I feel that the listings are generally over priced, but I am looking for an objective way to evaluate that.

Every time I look at a new listing, I take current new price of that (if available), add destination charges. Beyond that I run into trouble. I am looking for some suggestions on what deductions that I can apply. Examples are depreciation per mile on the car, lesser value for missing latest modifications like seats, AP HW, AP vs EAP etc. I would like to hear what others think.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPSAN
I think the current problem in the market is that many folks paid top dollar for their cars and took the tax deduction. In some instances, the new pricing and bundling of included features makes new cars a better buy than recent model year used cars. As new features are introduced, Tesla is lowering prices on existing new inventory which does not have the new features. I think you need to not only compare the price of used to same or similar configuration new, but also subtract from the used car price the $7500 tax rebate that anyone who purchased prior to January got (and you won't) plus standard depreciation. The car depreciates at least 10% once it rolls off the lot, so that plus the $7500 is already a big chunk of change for a slightly used car, and value goes down from there.

Reactions: T-Will
Most used listings seem overpriced when you take the credits/incentives that you would get on a new car (and that the seller originally received). That being said, it seems that most sellers are willing to negotiate a deal when there is a willing buyer.

Many people in the used market are not able to take the Tax Credit due to their individual tax circumstances, so they will not take that into consideration when they are making a purchase.

For highly taxed individuals, buying new is the prefered route. If you do not pay much in taxes, used can be a great value.

Many people in the used market are not able to take the Tax Credit due to their individual tax circumstances, so they will not take that into consideration when they are making a purchase.

For highly taxed individuals, buying new is the prefered route. If you do not pay much in taxes, used can be a great value.
Oh yeah true. Plus out the door they don't subtract the tax credit anyway so you have to pay the total price+doc.dmv.destination,