Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with my M3 - All dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a weird problem.

My car completely died about 2 weeks ago. I got my 12v replaced and the car worked fine untill this morning.

Again it is dead. The problem I have now is that even though I jump the battery it wont start. (I got into the driver door barely because the window for some reason opened up a bit) The screen starts up - but I cant do anything, not even unlock doors or luggage. The AC wont start and I can not go into service mode - it says I need to deactivate alarm but I cant do that. Nothing happend when I press the brake.

I cant put it into towing mode - how do I even tow the car if it gets to that?

What could be the problem? I mean I just got a brand new 12v.

Model 3 2020

I wouldn’t be surprised if the battery connectors weren’t tightened enough on install, so one or the other isn’t contacting. I’d try that before going through the service center rigmarole. Of course, there’s also the possibility that the new battery was defective.

Reactions: pikeman
I had something similar happen couple months back - PTC heater (part of the HVAC system) had burned out and was shorting the 12V battery. I would charge the battery out of the car, put it in, the car will power on for a minute, and within 2 min the battery will be dead as the PTC is completely discharging it. Had to tow the cat to the SC. The tow guy was actually very knowledgeable of the procedure to tow Teslas. He brought a 12V jumper and jumped the battery. When the car came on he quickly put it in tow mode, in which it stays even after it is powered down. He then pulled it up on the flatbed.

My car completely died about 2 weeks ago. I got my 12v replaced and the car worked fine untill this morning.

Again it is dead. The problem I have now is that even though I jump the battery it wont start. (I got into the driver door barely because the window for some reason opened up a bit) The screen starts up - but I cant do anything, not even unlock doors or luggage. The AC wont start and I can not go into service mode - it says I need to deactivate alarm but I cant do that. Nothing happend when I press the brake.

Model 3 2020
This sounds like a frustrating situation! Even though the screen comes on, the jump-start might not be providing enough power to fully engage the car's systems. Try using a high-quality jumper cable with thick gauge wires and jumping from another well-functioning car for at least 10 minutes before attempting to start.

Model 3 2020
What killed your original battery? Where there any error codes?