Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead 2020 Model 3 - outside of warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unique Problem. I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance that's 38 months old. Out of warranty with 86K miles. Came out to leave for work and Vehicle is dead. car will not unlock from key card nor app. Tesla Home Charge cable will not unlock, but strangely I can manage the charging with the app. Thinking it's the 12V battery. I has Tesla roadside assist me with the links to get the frunk open to pull the battery out. Did so and went (in my spare vehicle) to Tesla to purchase a new 12V battery. Came back and installed and STILL have issue. Tesla Roadside can not get out to me house to try to open vehicle or disengage charge cable for 3 days. I'm sure it has to be towed but need the charged cable disconnected. Bluetooth will not connect to the vehicle. Both access cards do nothing. Car is a vegetable. What might my problem be?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'm sure it has to be towed but need the charged cable disconnected

Manually Releasing Charge Cable​

If the usual methods for releasing a charge cable from the charge port (using the charge handle release button, touchscreen, or mobile app) do not work, try pressing and holding down the rear trunk button on the key fob accessory (if equipped) for 1-2 seconds. If it still doesn't release, carefully follow these steps:
  1. Ensure that Model 3 is not actively charging by displaying the charging screen on the touchscreen. If necessary, touch Stop Charging.
  2. Open the rear trunk.
  3. Pull the charge port's release cable downwards to unlatch the charge cable.
    Warning
    Do not pull the release cable while simultaneously attempting to remove the charge cable from the charge port. Always pull the release cable before attempting to remove the charge cable. Failure to follow these instructions can result in electric shock and serious injury.
    release cable with an arrow pointing down.
    Note
    The release cable may be recessed within the opening of the trim.
  4. Pull the charge cable from the charge port.
CAUTION
Use the release cable only in situations where you can not release the charge cable using the usual methods. Continuous use can damage the release cable or charging equipment.

Unique Problem. I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance that's 38 months old. Out of warranty with 86K miles. Came out to leave for work and Vehicle is dead. car will not unlock from key card nor app. Tesla Home Charge cable will not unlock, but strangely I can manage the charging with the app. Thinking it's the 12V battery. I has Tesla roadside assist me with the links to get the frunk open to pull the battery out. Did so and went (in my spare vehicle) to Tesla to purchase a new 12V battery. Came back and installed and STILL have issue. Tesla Roadside can not get out to me house to try to open vehicle or disengage charge cable for 3 days. I'm sure it has to be towed but need the charged cable disconnected. Bluetooth will not connect to the vehicle. Both access cards do nothing. Car is a vegetable. What might my problem be?

What you describe sounds like a dead 12 volt battery but without viewing the notifications or service mode alerts not sure specifically what happened. Post what the fix was.

If i'm reading the OP post correctly, frunk acces was gained to remove n replace the battery but 12v still didn't power on so no access to cabin...
How do u gain access to cabin/trunk in this case? besides braking the window...

I think multimeter is the next thing needed to check old n new 12v to make sure they both aren't dead.

Reactions: Flybyglass
brianhouston - Correct. I did mess around with the app a little more.

This is what I can do through the app:
I can view cameras and enable sentry mode. I can vent windows, honk horn, flash lights. I can charge my car by moving the charge limiter and start charging, I can stop charging. Summons looks like it will work but doesn't because charge cable is connected.

This is what I can NOT do through the app:
Unlock the vehicle, pop the frunk, open the trunk, unlock the charge port.

Strange indeed. When I Vent the windows, only the passenger windows (front and back) crack; drivers side does not.

I can view cameras and enable sentry mode. I can vent windows, honk horn, flash lights. I can charge my car by moving the charge limiter and start charging, I can stop charging. Summons looks like it will work but doesn't because charge cable is connected.

Strange indeed. When I Vent the windows, only the passenger windows (front and back) crack; drivers side does not.
Have you tired unlocking with your key card?

Have you called Tesla support? They can contact engineering and get on the CAN bus to unlock and open things the app can't.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Have you called Tesla support? They can contact engineering and get on the CAN bus to unlock and open things the app can't.
I contacted Tesla roadside assistance and they told me they have exhausted all means and the only option is to send a Tesla tech out to unlock the car, disengage the charge cable by the home charger, etc. They said they can see the car and it looks good on their end, but they can not unlock it either, they get an error. They had me logout of my mobile app and re-login. that didn't work either. Bluetooth can not make a connection with the vehicle.

I contacted Tesla roadside assistance and they told me they have exhausted all means and the only option is to send a Tesla tech out to unlock the car, disengage the charge cable by the home charger, etc. They said they can see the car and it looks good on their end, but they can not unlock it either, they get an error. They had me logout of my mobile app and re-login. that didn't work either. Bluetooth can not make a connection with the vehicle.

No...not them. They can't do anything. Call Tesla Support. They are still open. 877-798-3752. Go through the menu's and select vehicle support. You will have to provide a few pieces of information like the last 6 of your VIN and maybe the name of the vehicle.... etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
If nothing else, use vent mode to open the passenger window, then pull up on the emergency release with a wire hanger. Once you are in, fold down the back seat and pull the charger release cable :)

As a reminder, make sure the car is not actually charging when you pull the charge handle out. Ideally it wouldn't be using any power at all(like...flip the breaker for the charger).

Tesla's have fuses?

User accessible fuses?

The only fuses I know about are under the penthouse - and I certainly wouldn't suggest going there.
There is a high-voltage pyro fuse, which would need to be replaced by Tesla. The rest are self-resetting e-fuses ("poly" fuses). But there are no traditional 12V fuses in the Model 3.

I have seen some threads here where half the car was dead, and it had to do with something called VC left (or right, I think), like a couple other people in this thread have already suggested.

Here is one such thread:

Reactions: Flybyglass