Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, has anyone had issues with their MCU using Nema 14-50 connection where it keeps phantom detecting an overheating outlet and reducing the charging AMP as a result? I doubt there’s an electrical issue with our 240V outlet and have even swapped the MCU for a new one and still gives us same error. if you’ve encountered this what was your solution? Thanks.

Hey all, has anyone had issues with their MCU using Nema 14-50 connection where it keeps phantom detecting an overheating outlet and reducing the charging AMP as a result? I doubt there’s an electrical issue with our 240V outlet and have even swapped the MCU for a new one and still gives us same error. if you’ve encountered this what was your solution? Thanks.
With the cost of the wall charger (400$) I really think this is the way to go. Watch this (I think they may have exaggerated a bit but the risked talked about are real)

Out of an abundance of caution, check the outlet. I had the same alerts pop up and it turned out that the electrician hadn’t installed an industrial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet. The cheap Levitron started overheating after about a year.
I agree that you need to double and triple check your outlet, connections, breaker and everything component of that circuit.

I will also state that I had a "cheap" Leviton NEMA 14-50R installed in my garage for years. I used it to charge several Model S cars all at 40A exclusively and never had an ounce of trouble. The key though was that I installed it properly. Even the best "industrial grade" receptacle won't do you any good if your sparky is lazy when it comes to landing the connections properly. Keep in mind that even the "cheap" receptacles that are UL listed have to pass torture tests many times higher than even an EV will present. I have yet to see a single catastrophic failure due to the components themselves which leaves only sloppy installation to blame. Sure the plastic on the receptacle melts when it heats up making it seem like that's the culprit but it rarely is. I'm not trying to talk you out of spending another $50-$80 on a receptacle so much as warning how important proper installation is, regardless of what components you install.

Summary: proper installation>components (assuming all have proper UL listing, of course)

Tesla explicitly recommends some industrial grade ones for good reasons (long uses at high power causes resistant heat).

Last I checked the Bryant was the best deal and high quality ... purchased by Hubbell.

Bryant 14-50 receptacle (9450FR / BL9450A now owned by Hubbell - high quality) 49YY93

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200