Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Tesla FOB and vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late last night when we were trying to return home from my son's place in Barrhaven to Kanata, we discovered that both my wife's and my FOB would not open the car doors. What to do at 01:30 AM. Called customer service which enabled us to enter car but vehicle would not start with either FOB. A variety of possibilities were tried with help of Raymond at Customer Service- none worked. Tried to use iPhone Tesla App but it had crashed also and, despite of help from Service centre, we were not able to reset password. Eventually car locked itself with us in it. When we tried to exit vehicle sirens went off at 02:15M, much to displeasure of my son's neighbours. Customer Service arranged for a Uber vehicle to take us home, leaving car on the street at my son's house. We were advised Montreal Service Centre would be in touch with us.

Today called Montreal Tesla office without much success. I was advised to call Customer service again. I did and told Gary , who was very helpful, that I needed things in the car for work and also needed a vehicle. He called Montreal office to explain situation to them. He mentioned to me that they should call us soon.

Well 4 hours later we still had not heard from Montreal. I called Customer Service again. This time Christina suggested that maybe out FOB's need to have their batteries changed. She also called Montreal for us. 3 hrs later still no reply from
Montreal! We did go and change batteries and returned to my son 's place to see if our recharged FOB would work. No luck. However I had been able to restart our Tesla App and through my iPhone I was able to open doors and start the car.

Before drIving home, I called Service Centre again to mentioned I had the car going and advised that Montreal had still not contacted us. I did not wait to see if FOB's worked and started driving home.

Continuation:

During conversation with Customer Service, they transferred me to Montreal Service centre. I was put on hold but finally almost 15 hrs after our emergency someone from Montreal spoke to me. Wednesday or Thursday, we hope to swap cars with a Ranger.

To top it off when I returned home the FOB'S still did not work

Has anyone experienced this problem in the past?

Sorry for the poor customer service experience.

I thought there might have some radio interference and your son's place until you said the keys still didn't work when you got home. No, never heard of both keys suddenly not working at multiple locations, even with new batteries. I imagine the support had you try with the keys out of pocket, away from possible interference from phones or metal objects such as coins.

As for the application not initially working, I guess it was a case of Murphy's law.

Since I posted my saga, I have had a call from Marlon Wilson, the new Service Manager in Montreal. He founds very professional and I see him fixing the apparent poor view of Montreal Service centre amongst Ottawa owners. We spoke for over 15 minutes. All possitive and ready to help us in Ottawa.

Within 15 minutes of his call I had another call from the Service Centre indicating that they will swap cars tomorrow. He has already shown to me his effectiveness.

He also mentioned Ottawa should have a Supercharger in the not too distant future plus a better form of service arrangement that is better than it is now.

Oh dear! Starting from next week, I will be back to the city of 0 service centres after being spoiled for two years in a city that has three. I hope Ottawa gets one soon... Montreal cannot keep up with their demand in addition to Quebec City and Ottawa!