Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Procedure for replacing a lost Tesla keyfob as of Sept. 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently lost my Model X keyfob so I tried to research on-line what to do. One place I found said you needed to buy a keyfob, then have it programmed by Tesla ($160). So I bought a used one off eBay.

Well that information was not correct. Yes, it needs to be programmed by Tesla, but the cost includes a new keyfob. They will not activate a used keyfob.

The activation procedure is as follows:

• The tech pulls down the little cubby shelf below the dashboard and removes it. There are two connectors facing vertically at the front edge and two tabs at the back.
  • Next he pulls out his laptop and plugs it in to one of the connectors hiding above where the cubby was. The big rectangular CAN BUS 3 connector is there, but he used a little square blue socket to connect to his laptop.
  • The programming took a few minutes. He said it varied, with some taking up to 45 minutes to program!
  • When that was done, he disconnected and put everything back.
  • He would also have deactivated the lost keyfob, but I asked him not to since I'm sure one day we'll find it where the cats put it. :-(

So this does require a Ranger visit or a trip to the repair shop and you would order it just as you would request service. I originally had a ranger visit was scheduled for a taillight issue, but Tesla responded quickly to my emails stepping me through the procedure for adding the replacement fob to the service order.

• Informative
Reactions: alexdav
I recently lost my Model X keyfob so I tried to research on-line what to do. One place I found said you needed to buy a keyfob, then have it programmed by Tesla ($160). So I bought a used one off eBay.

Well that information was not correct. Yes, it needs to be programmed by Tesla, but the cost includes a new keyfob. They will not activate a used keyfob.

The activation procedure is as follows:

• The tech pulls down the little cubby shelf below the dashboard and removes it. There are two connectors facing vertically at the front edge and two tabs at the back.
  • Next he pulls out his laptop and plugs it in to one of the connectors hiding above where the cubby was. The big rectangular CAN BUS 3 connector is there, but he used a little square blue socket to connect to his laptop.
  • The programming took a few minutes. He said it varied, with some taking up to 45 minutes to program!
  • When that was done, he disconnected and put everything back.
  • He would also have deactivated the lost keyfob, but I asked him not to since I'm sure one day we'll find it where the cats put it. :-(

So this does require a Ranger visit or a trip to the repair shop and you would order it just as you would request service. I originally had a ranger visit was scheduled for a taillight issue, but Tesla responded quickly to my emails stepping me through the procedure for adding the replacement fob to the service order.
i am looking at a 2016 model x ....thoughts?

I bought used through Tesla and was provided two fobs, but didn't really test them both on pickup. Week or two later I tried the second and it seemed dead. I was in for the entertainment system upgrade and explained the problem (different service center than I picked up the vehicle.) They gave me another programmed fob at that service appointment, no additional charge.