Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring extended warranty for black screen of death and profile mismatches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After quite a few unsuccessful repairs for these two issues, Tesla (Lake Forest) is telling me that they are no longer going to try to fix the issue comparing it to a cellphone that occasionally malfunctions because of variations of installed software. I have a problem with this because (a) it malfunctions much more frequently than my cell phone: and (2) it’s a vehicle, not a phone. The profile mismatch issues, which has existed since a firmware upgrade maybe four years ago, occurs regardless of whether I use the Tesla app on my phone or the key fob. Particularly after a 40-minute charging session, I will not notice the change in profile when I put it into drive, leaving the car and my seat moving simultaneously. The problem that I call “the black screen of death” (after the famous Microsoft blue screen of death) occurs sometimes when I need to drive somewhere, sometimes while I am driving and sometimes it doesn’t actually turn black, but just becomes unresponsive to touch. No music, no rear camera view, no nav, no opening doors via the screen. Soft reset does not help.

So, my issue is “what do I do?” The car is an autopilot 2.0 2016 Model X under extended warranty through December 2024. Here are my thoughts:

1. Go through the dispute resolution process.
2. Go the lawsuit- or even class-action route (or small claims).
3. Go to NHTSA because each of these can present a hazard while driving.
4. Go to another Tesla service center with the same issues.

Anyone with experience with either these problems or the next steps outlined above? Please let me know. My 8gb EMMC failure, which caused similar problems, was replaced under the Tesla Adjusted Warranty Program, but the symptoms are identical.

Last edited:
If you are still on the MCU1, then I would pursue getting MCU2 as a 'solution' any way that you can. That is what I'd push with them. You spent a lot on an extended warranty so I'd be annoyed too. I upgraded my MCU1 2017 X to MCU2 for $2500 (early days) and would gladly do it again as it made such a difference.

I'd keep the small claims in your back pocket as I would think any mentioned of that would stop things from their point in it's tracks until you did it.

They offered me a $200 discount on the price and I insisted it was warranty work. But I see on another thread that there are a series of EMMC problems even after the recall.
I'd ask what is your time worth to you and the "enjoyment" of using MCU1. MCU2 is significantly different and better. If you are going to keep the 2016 for a long time then I'd do what I could to get the MCU2.

You may find this post and surrounding ones interesting.

It doesn't sound like you'll be happy with however this turns out. I'll let you be and move on myself.

After quite a few unsuccessful repairs for these two issues, Tesla (Lake Forest) is telling me that they are no longer going to try to fix the issue comparing it to a cellphone that occasionally malfunctions because of variations of installed software. I have a problem with this because (a) it malfunctions much more frequently than my cell phone: and (2) it’s a vehicle, not a phone. The profile mismatch issues, which has existed since a firmware upgrade maybe four years ago, occurs regardless of whether I use the Tesla app on my phone or the key fob. Particularly after a 40-minute charging session, I will not notice the change in profile when I put it into drive, leaving the car and my seat moving simultaneously. The problem that I call “the black screen of death” (after the famous Microsoft blue screen of death) occurs sometimes when I need to drive somewhere, sometimes while I am driving and sometimes it doesn’t actually turn black, but just becomes unresponsive to touch. No music, no rear camera view, no nav, no opening doors via the screen. Soft reset does not help.

So, my issue is “what do I do?” The car is an autopilot 2.0 2016 Model X under extended warranty through December 2024. Here are my thoughts:

1. Go through the dispute resolution process.
2. Go the lawsuit- or even class-action route (or small claims).
3. Go to NHTSA because each of these can present a hazard while driving.
4. Go to another Tesla service center with the same issues.

Anyone with experience with either these problems or the next steps outlined above? Please let me know. My 8gb EMMC failure, which caused similar problems, was replaced under the Tesla Adjusted Warranty Program, but the symptoms are identical.
Nhtsa considers MCU failure as a safety recall issue. Tesla voluntarily fixes it with 8gb EMMC replacement but since that doesn't fix your problem, it's still an NHTSA recall issue until resolved.

Reactions: MBluTslita
I have had both of these issues.

The profile is supposedly linked to the key fob but my model X gets it wrong maybe 10% of the time. An annoyance, but not a safety issue because my foot is on the brake when I switch it to drive and notice the wrong profile came up. I just reach up and select my correct profile before I take my foot off the brake. I don’t let the car move until the seat has stopped moving.

The black screen was a problem for me almost immediately after I purchased the car new. I of course complained to Tesla and nothing happened. I paid for the MCU2 upgrade as soon as it became available. The car has been great ever since. Do I wish Tesla had actually fixed it for free? Yes. Am I glad that there is at least an option that makes me love my car now? Yes. For me, the “Tesla should have…” wasn’t worth the wear and tear on my psyche.

Reactions: Gumball and Genie
Just had the recall Emmc replacement, and now the navigation and wifi/bluetooth connections don't work. Took it back to the dealer that did the recall, and they want $500-2500 to repair it. They claim there is no connection with what they did, even though I dropped off a functional vehicle and picked up a non-functional one. Crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: rpo