Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4.09 kw system reported on Tesla
13 panel 310w q cell Q CELLS Q.PEAK DUO Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 310 = 4030
Inverter is SOLAREDGE HD WAVE SE3800H-US 3.8KW INVERTER

So the numbers are all over the place. What is Tesla actually supposed to deliver? Just the system without any production guarantee? A percentage of the 4 kW? Why a smaller inverter?

Since the upper end of the 3.8 kW inverter is never touched and if they don't actually end up guaranteeing anything at all, perhaps I can install 6 more panels? Clipping is a rare occurrence and would be acceptable to producing more. I just didn't want to void any warranty.

When you signed the contract they gave you an estimated annual production number.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 4.29.49 PM.png

Last edited:
The estimated size of your System is: 4.095 kW DC
Estimated gross annual electricity production in kilowatt-hours (kWh) from your System in Year 1: 4,580 kWh
Estimated System Lifetime: 30 years
Estimated annual electricity production decrease due to natural aging of the System: 0.5%

Performance or Production Guarantee
Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee.

So I am in the wrong because I didn't ask for it. So I have no idea if is working well.

There is no production warranty. I asked and was told Tesla doesn't offer one. However, they have flat out lied to me about multiple other points in the contract. For example they verbally told me I can cancel for a full refund up till the day they deliver supplies. Contract says 10 days from signing. Point number two. I was told Tesla doesn't do gutters in my area. Then literally the next day I was speaking to a neighbor who is also getting a Tesla solar roof. They included gutters in his contract. His contract was dated a week before mine.

If someone else gets a production warranty please respond here.

How can anyone give a production warranty? do you expect your solar installer to come over and clean your panels? cut/trim trees?

The way you get production warranty is by making sure everything is working and if something fails, call and ask to get it fixed.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
@Sonus , other companies do offer it. They have clauses for customer required maintenance. They also low ball the estimate so odds are they will never have to pay out.

The warranty Tesla offers is even more worthless though. Sure, they may act in good faith, but the customer basically has no recourse if they don't. How do you know if the panels are meeting the stated performance. The only data you have easily available is production. If you get half the estimated due to defective parts, they can just claim it's due to weather or other external factors. How will you prove them wrong. Are you going to have an independent 3rd party come out and test every panel? Good luck with that.

Reactions: preilly44
... Point number two. I was told Tesla doesn't do gutters in my area. Then literally the next day I was speaking to a neighbor who is also getting a Tesla solar roof. They included gutters in his contract. His contract was dated a week before mine.

This was discussed in an earlier thread. On the first installs they included the costs of gutters in the price of a SolarGlass roof. Mine was done this way. Now they have removed gutters from the product and some say lowered the cost. Also be careful your comparing like products, solar tiles on roof and SolarGlass roof are quite different in features provided.

Finally, I don't know if you have bought a Tesla vehicle, but they will change configurations and prices with no notice. Usually it works out better such as getting packages for free, that I paid $3,000 for. But I also got free Supercharging.

Last edited:
@jboy210

Yes I'm aware of the change. But your not understanding what I'm saying. I was told that nobody in my area (it's a new region for the solar roof) is getting gutters. When I mentioned my neighbor, they basically said I was making my neighbor up. My neighbor refused to let me use his name, the end result is Tesla basically called me a liar for calling out their lies.