Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

R&R to Metal Roof and Add More Panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SW Florida home was damaged by Hurricane Ian, requiring the replacement of my three-year-old shingle roof. The Tesla solar system made it through fine (see system specs below). Considering the increased life expectancy, I was hoping to upgrade from shingle to a standing seam aluminum roof. I already submitted a ticket for the Removal & Reinstallation (R&R); however, there was not an option to reinstall to any type of metal roof, only shingle and tile. I did ask in the comments.

Will Tesla not install their panel system on a metal roof?

Also, is there any chance that Tesla would add more panels to my system? I would like another 5 kW or so, and I have the room.

Existing 17kW Tesla System (Installed 2020)
(50) Q.Peak Duo Blk-G6+ / TS 340 W panels
(50) Solar Edge Optimizers
(4) Powerwalls
(1) Solar Edge 11,400 W Inverter
(1) Solar Edge 3,800 W Inverter
(1) Tesla Gateway 2

For metal roofs, I dont have the answer ( I dont work for Tesla or anything) but I remember a thread here where people were complaining they dont work on metal roofs:

Not sure if thats still the case, but wouldnt surprise me if you run into roadblocks.

As for "will they add panels" thats not adding panels, its adding panels + an inverter, or in other words " a new system / install".

I looked at solar on metal roofs awhile back, and did not do it. Why? There are fewer options for solar roof hardware when it comes to standing seam metal roofs. Tesla energy seems to have a cookie cutter approach, so I would not be surprised if they still don't do standing seam roofs. As @jjrandorin pointed out they have not historically done so.

If you really want a standing seam metal roof, I would look around for an installer willing to rip out your Tesla system and install a larger array on your metal roof. I would not be surprised if the Tesla system becomes a write off; almost every solar installer avoids touching someone else's work.

Good luck,

BG

Tesla installed my system on a standing seam metal roof (SF Bay Area, 2022). It's actually a great installation system with no roof penetrations, they used S-5! roof clamps: Roof Clamps | Standing Seam Metal Roof Clamps | S-5!

I think there are other reports of installations on standing seam roofs (note: not metal tile roofs), but I'm sure this changes over time and/or is location specific. Best to check with them directly.

As for "will they add panels" thats not adding panels, its adding panels + an inverter, or in other words " a new system / install".
I was hoping Tesla would just upsize my 3,800 W inverter to a 11,400 W, matching the other one. Then, just install more panels.

Tesla installed my system on a standing seam metal roof (SF Bay Area, 2022). It's actually a great installation system with no roof penetrations, they used S-5! roof clamps: Roof Clamps | Standing Seam Metal Roof Clamps | S-5!

I think there are other reports of installations on standing seam roofs (note: not metal tile roofs), but I'm sure this changes over time and/or is location specific. Best to check with them directly.
I'm wondering if it's due to the wind code requirements in Florida.