Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof 3P is not just sw unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what the service manuals say.
Lol you disagreed with my other post despite me posting actual evidence.

Well here’s what the owners manual says (page 138): https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

If you don’t want to scroll, here is a screenshot (notice no distinction between Performance and NonPerformance):

18E829A7-6063-493E-B4CC-F3D0BC3A2AE3.png

You’re welcome (again).

I adventure to say that this is more important in the long term that you may think. Consider all those used P85D going for cheap money (depreciation compared to 85D...).
A model P3D will devaluate way more than a non P once the warranty is gone, if the P variants is just SW uncorking. Just because exactly this limitations on non P variants *should* ensure less potential drivetrain problems. Same HW being way less stressed.

Am I wrong?

I adventure to say that this is more important in the long term that you may think. Consider all those used P85D going for cheap money (depreciation compared to 85D...).
A model P3D will devaluate way more than a non P once the warranty is gone, if the P variants is just SW uncorking. Just because exactly this limitations on non P variants *should* ensure less potential drivetrain problems. Same HW being way less stressed.

Am I wrong?

How has the Model S and X performance models devaluated compared to their non performance versions?

I don’t understand why there is even a debate if the motor hardware is different between a AWD and P.

It’s the same. Elon himself said it was the same, with the difference being better “bin”.

I bet since then they have gotten production down to where all the produced motors quality for AWD or P - making sorting unnecessary. This is speculation on my part but would be a requirement if they want to keep scaling production.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I don’t understand why there is even a debate if the motor hardware is different between a AWD and P.

It’s the same. Elon himself said it was the same, with the difference being better “bin”.

I bet since then they have gotten production down to where all the produced motors quality for AWD or P - making sorting unnecessary. This is speculation on my part but would be a requirement if they want to keep scaling production.
It’s because people like @Garlan Garner keep spreading misinformation even in the face of evidence that supports an opposing viewpoint or fact.

Am I wrong?

P85D doesn’t have HW2 and no path to HW3. That would be a significant reason for the deep depreciation. Add in the $7500 subsidiy as well for new cars.

3P drops more because it has a higher price. The more expensive a car is the bigger it drops in absolute terms.

When I’m looking for used S and X, I gravitate to finding P variant deals first.

It’s because people like @Garlan Garner keep spreading misinformation even in the face of evidence that supports an opposing viewpoint or fact.

In the spirit of honest intellectual discourse, we all have to be willing to change our minds on positions when presented with new information.

@Garlan Garner - it’s the same part. Even if the motors were binned and given a different SKU - it’s effectively the same part.

If Tesla installs it in your car they have to warranty it.

Why would you object if it was the same versus different? Just wondering why you feel so strongly about your position here?

• Love
In the spirit of honest intellectual discourse, we all have to be willing to change our minds on positions when presented with new information.

@Garlan Garner - it’s the same part. Even if the motors were binned and given a different SKU - it’s effectively the same part.

If Tesla installs it in your car they have to warranty it.

Why would you object if it was the same versus different?

Its the same part with a different part number? ok.

Lets just go ahead and say that the cars are the same then. The conversation would be easier.

Its the same part with a different part number? ok.

To split hairs, yes.

You know how every chain that sells a Simmons mattress can offer no strings price match promotions?

The SAME EXACT Simmons mattress is sold to different distributors with different skus and names.

Different part number, different name - and I wouldn’t know the difference sleeping on either.

Does it make sense now that the motors are interchangeable now between AWD and P?

• Love
Reactions: SoCalGuy and P85_DA
To split hairs, yes.

You know how every chain that sells a Simmons mattress can offer no strings price match promotions?

The SAME EXACT Simmons mattress is sold to different distributors with different skus and names.

Different part number, different name - and I wouldn’t know the difference sleeping on either.

Does it make sense now that the motors are interchangeable now between AWD and P?

I haven't made any statements about motors.

The motor is the main event. It’s what gets you 3.5 and not 4.5 0-60.

I think the confusion here is the matrix of differences between AWD, P- and P+

AWD and P- are functionally identical except for software.

P+ has more changes to suspension, wheels, tires, brakes etc but the motor and batteries are the same as AWD and P-.

The motor is the main event. It’s what gets you 3.5 and not 4.5 0-60.

I think the confusion here is the matrix of differences between AWD, P- and P+

AWD and P- are functionally identical except for software.

P+ has more changes to suspension, wheels, tires, brakes etc but the motor and batteries are the same as AWD and P-.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm outta here because my personal information about where I live and such is being looked up and posted because of my posts.

I take this very seriously.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and smatthew
Motors and drive units are exactly the same in the P and NonP.

The P and NonP also have the same curb weight +/- a few lbs for larger tires/brakes in plus package.

This topic has been litigated over and over with substantial evidence (namely Tesla website, manual and service catalog) provided to support these conclusions. What’s more, these claims are also supported by numerous individual accounts of people taking delivery of NonP only to have them software unlocked when it’s shown they actually had paid for P.

QED.

Reactions: MXWing and P85_DA
I have seen a Model 3 P- without Dual Motor underline coming back with Dual Motor underline at pickup. This was a OBM Model 3 Dual Motor at MDR. Owner there said he ordered a P which the price reflected that at pickup but it didn't have the line so Techs took the car back in. My car went in as well, but it was for paint. His car came back with underlined Dual Motor after an hour and left. Mine was done shortly after. Also, I paid for EAP but my car didn't have it. Techs remote it into my car while I was at work. Pretty sure they can remote P- for me too if I paid for it. I think the only difference with the Performance is the 20" wheels and brakes. This is why it's rolled into the upgrade price so technically it's not just a software update between AWD and Performance.

My AWD is freaking fast compared to my RWD from 40 to 90. Seems consistent per my butt dyno it's the same as a Performance demo I've driven. RWD is not as fast from 40-90. RWD feels like a 250cc bike where you thought it was fast when you bought it, but a week later, it's actually not that quick. AWD is like a 600cc bike; feels just as fast as the day I bought it. Enough power where I don't need anymore on the street. However, RWD is very efficient, I'm at 10,000 miles with 196kWh/mile. AWD is at 212kWh/mile, while the Model S 75D is at 303kWh/mile.

Performance Model 3 Batteries do use a different part/inverter according to tesla parts list : teslamotors

Haven’t digested it but @Garlan Garner might want to take a look.

Initial thoughts are even if there are differences, what counts is functional equivalency.

2 gauge wire has more power delivery potential than 6 gauge by a long shot.

Though you won’t know the difference in your wire gauge if all you will ever push is 32 AMP.

Someone already mentioned in the reddit comments, but the inverter referenced is the charge inverter, not the drive inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing