Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proof 3P is not just sw unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not silly.

Many people didn't want to pay all of that money for just software. - and now we know that they didn't.

Its spelled out in a much more detailed thread elsewhere in TMC
It’s silly because it has always been obvious that it’s software. Plenty of people have said so ever since AWD/P were announced. They added another motor to the LR and it only got 10% faster 0-60? How does that make any sense if it’s not software limited?
If anything it should be us AWD owners who should be upset. We’re dragging around all this extra weight and drivetrain loss.

It’s silly because it has always been obvious that it’s software. Plenty of people have said so ever since AWD/P were announced. They added another motor to the LR and it only got 10% faster 0-60? How does that make any sense if it’s not software limited?
If anything it should be us AWD owners who should be upset. We’re dragging around all this extra weight and drivetrain loss.

Its not JUST software....period.

There is different hardware. period.

That's not true....it bugs many people here in TMC....hence the other mile - long thread about this subject matter.

How are these comments generated without proof or backup.

The performance model is more than just a faster car. That's why its getting track mode. For one....it has the brakes for it.

Doesn't bug most of us meaning the entire rest of the world who produce and buys billions of dollars worth of software.

I would guess the amount it bugs most Tesla owners are a minority, not something you can base on a disgruntled thread. Anecdotally, the rest of my friends and I who have bought Tesla's as early as first gen roadster have discussed over the years if the higher ends were software unlocked. Not any of us are bothered by it.

In the traditional ICE world, BMW and many luxury makers sell engine flashes for higher performance. Quite a lot of the ICE tuner market only sells software.

Why would Tesla go out of their way to make some worse performing motors on the lower end, make production complex just so higher end owners feel they got some silly perceived value? You are not paying for perceived value you're paying for actual value in the name of higher performance capability.

Reactions: MXWing
Unless you work in production at Tesla, TODAY - none of us really know. Period.

And while it's interesting academically - it really doesn't matter.

Come on now....we "do" know.

Try to fit this piece on the non-performance car. Part Number 1098481-00-C. It won't fit.

That's one hardware difference. There are others. It "does" matter.

Performance.png

Try to fit this piece on the non-performance car. Part Number 1098481-00-C. It won't fit.

That's one hardware difference. There are others. It "does" matter.

View attachment 351846
o_O
The PUP has bigger brakes. I’ve seen them with my own eyes!
I think the question was whether there are drivetrain differences. There is not yet evidence of drivetrain hardware differences.

o_O
The PUP has bigger brakes. I’ve seen them with my own eyes!
I think the question was whether there are drivetrain differences. There is not yet evidence of drivetrain hardware differences.

Its not just bigger brakes....its the whole brake motor assembly in the calipers and everything.

You know what?....this is too much work.....

Lets just go with...its all software. lol

It's a connector that goes to the specific brake that is on the PUP package.

The rest of us are talking motor drivetrain. What you pay from AWD speed to P speed.

A connector? really?

Tesla is going to change a connector to help make the car performance?

Ok...for the sake of argument....lets go with that.

AWD weighs about 3600 pounds and Performance weighs in at about 4072 pounds. That software is really heavy. lol

Just kidding.....

Last edited:
Not sure how much simpler than it is. It's a different brake caliper. It requires a different connector. They are electronically controlled for stability control.

No no....its all about software....I thought that was the point. Right?

Here goes @SoCal and @paranoidroid with all of the disagrees.

Everyone = enjoy.

Last edited:
A connector? really?

Tesla is going to change a connector to help make the car performance?

Ok...for the sake of argument....lets go with that.

AWD weighs about 3600 pounds and Performance weighs in at about 4072 pounds. That software is really heavy. lol

Just kidding.....
The AWD and the Performance weigh the same. Only LR RWD and MR cars weigh less than 4,000 lbs

Reactions: paranoidroid
No no....its all about software....I thought that was the point. Right?

Boy, not the sharpest tool here.

For cars without the PUP and the bigger brakes, perhaps it is perhaps it's not. We all know PUP has hardware differences, after all they spell it out as brakes and 20" wheels.

I have a P and don't care either way if there are *motor and drivetrain* differences. I get 0-60 in 3.5s and it's warranted for that.

While it's academically interesting if there are *motor and drivetrain* differences, I certainly don't understand the *fixation*.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Boy, not the sharpest tool here.

For cars without the PUP and the bigger brakes, perhaps it is perhaps it's not. We all know PUP has hardware differences, after all they spell it out as brakes and 20" wheels.

I have a P and don't care either way if there are *motor and drivetrain* differences. I get 0-60 in 3.5s and it's warranted for that.

While it's academically interesting if there are *motor and drivetrain* differences, I certainly don't understand the *fixation*.

We are resorting to name calling now?

I guess its getting political.

That happens in politics now-a-days.

I will admit, against my better judgement, that I am curious as hell as to what hardware is different between an AWD Model 3 and the Performance car w/o additional options...

It is just curiosity though, not going to make or break my day but it is in my nature to ask questions - been annoying my dad that way since I could talk and unlikely to change now...

:)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA