Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prospective M3 buyer - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all. It's looking like my best option, considering my budget, is to try to find a 2021 SR+ AWD, which may come with the LFP battery, depending on the date of the first registration in 2021. I'm starting to see some on Autotrader for around £30k now, which is promising.

What’s your daily mileage? What’s your longest regular run?
An LFP will do a real world 160 miles winter and 250 summer
A long range will do 250 winter to 350 summer.
My old 2020 M3 LR charged to 280 indicated and even in summer I’d struggle to get 250 real world. The later ones are better, but not that much better.

OP, On a trip and stopping to supercharge, you’ll still only charge to 90% as the last 10% takes ages, if you’re just thinking of charging from home then your 100% argument is true. But 90% of a bigger battery is still a bit bigger than 100% of a smaller one, and you can charge a LR to 100% for a trip. Degradation realistically isn’t a consideration.

I think the dates been given above, but there’s a fairly easy way to check if it’s Ryzen you’ve access to a car before buying. It’s under the software menu then additional info. I’d also head to the tesla-info website, they list everything including Autotrader and Tesla direct but plenty of advice.

If you haven't come across it already, do have a look on here.

Teslainfo is a search aggregator which allows fairly detailed filtering and will search all the popular car sales sites including Tesla inventory.
Thanks, this is interesting and very useful. Shame you can't specify mileage, but apart from that it's great. I've signed up to the email notifications too.

On todays 50 mile drive to work (30 miles motorway, 20 miles A roads, sticking to speed limits but not eco driving) my 2022 RWD is currently telling me that I used 205wh/mile so efficiency is nearly 5 miles per Kwh. with a 57kwh usable battery that gives me a range of 285 miles from 100%.

On todays 50 mile drive to work (30 miles motorway, 20 miles A roads, sticking to speed limits but not eco driving) my 2022 RWD is currently telling me that I used 205wh/mile so efficiency is nearly 5 miles per Kwh. with a 57kwh usable battery that gives me a range of 285 miles from 100%.
If that's the SR M3, then that sounds pretty good, considering it's a mix of motorway and A-road driving.

If that's the SR M3, then that sounds pretty good, considering it's a mix of motorway and A-road driving.
He says RWD and 2022 - so it is a 60Kwh battery with usable range of 57kwh. SR & SR+ had 50 and 55kwh batteries. Even in best condition I wouldn’t get more than 240-250 with the display around 262. But today the temperature is around 17-19. The worst enemy for SR+ is rain and cold winter where we average around 290wh/mile with the range of around 170-190miles.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
He says RWD and 2022 - so it is a 60Kwh battery with usable range of 57kwh. SR & SR+ had 50 and 55kwh batteries. Even in best condition I wouldn’t get more than 240-250 with the display around 262. But today the temperature is around 17-19. The worst enemy for SR+ is rain and cold winter where we average around 290wh/mile with the range of around 170-190miles.
So, when did the 60kwh battery first get introduced to the M3?

So, when did the 60kwh battery first get introduced to the M3?
Possibly last quarter of 2021. This was a period where some cars had 60kwh battery and 0-62 of 5.3 seconds. They are the unicorn ones that had both higher performance and increased capacity. Since March 2022 all cars are definitely 60kwh with some drop in 0-62 performance. there is some overlap from Dec 2021-March 2022. Again you can find these details with additional information in the car.

Didn't want to start a whole new post for this, but has the ride comfort on the M3 been improved on at all since launch, after facelifts?
Yes and No as per various reports. If you carefully read the forum after every update (and there is a lots of them) people complain or compliment the ride, wipers, AHB and so on. So very hard to get an objective view in relation to this.

I have never been a fan of M3 ride - it is jiggly throughout all the updates for me. It is an American car without the tail slipping like those police cars you see in movies. It is just Model Y saved Model 3 with its worst ride & comfort., so there is not a lot of discussion about M3’s ride.