Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 to MY upgrade advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2019 M3 in average condition which apparently is worth around £20k for trade in purposes. Since we bought it, we've unexpectedly got two children (surprise adoption) and can see that we'll need more space in the car on family holidays esp in a few years when the kids are bigger. We're considering upgrading to a MY and have a test drive booked in this weekend.

We're wondering whether upgrading now with a new MY (warranty etc) would be better value than waiting say 4 more years and then buying a decent second hand one (out of warranty) when our M3 is worth pretty much nothing as all the warranties have expired. We can finance either but would appreciate advice for anyone who understands car values and trade ins better than we do.

TIA

We have a 2019 M3 in average condition which apparently is worth around £20k for trade in purposes. Since we bought it, we've unexpectedly got two children (surprise adoption) and can see that we'll need more space in the car on family holidays esp in a few years when the kids are bigger. We're considering upgrading to a MY and have a test drive booked in this weekend.

We're wondering whether upgrading now with a new MY (warranty etc) would be better value than waiting say 4 more years and then buying a decent second hand one (out of warranty) when our M3 is worth pretty much nothing as all the warranties have expired. We can finance either but would appreciate advice for anyone who understands car values and trade ins better than we do.

TIA
main thing you will lose will be USS... but you will get a bit better noise insulation and heatpump and infotainment..

Ultra Sonic Sensors, they tell you how close you are to objects. Good for parking. Tesla took them out on Y. Now uses Tesla Vision, which is absolutely useless.

Heatpump warms the battery for supercharging. Also helps heat the cabin I think. Infotainment I'm not sure, but I think it has better speakers in the Y.

Cons:
The view out of the rear window is all but useless.
Bonnet just out vision
No parking sensors
single data USB in glovebox
Tailgate would hit the rafters in most garages

Pros:
Higher seating position
Heat pump
privacy glass
Quieter ride maybe

I sat in a Y yesterday. It was nice but I still wouldn’t have one, or a 3, until the lack of parking sensors has a bulletproof alternative

what's the heatpump do?

It runs the heating and cooling of the vehicle and ultimately gives you a bit more range than you would have got otherwise, particularly in averagely cold weather, compared to a car with conventional resistive heating. (You would be able to tell people that you've got an Octovalve! For those who are interested in such technicalities it really is an impressive system. This video can either be described as a superb step by step breakdown or alternatively more than an hour of your life that you will never get back!
I'm actually one of the former!)

• Funny
Reactions: Leejmoff and kuruma

TIA
I bought a new MY last year . Mainly cos I got a crazy good trade in price on my M3 and the few used ones that were available were almost as much as new.
BUT
If I was buying today I would be getting a used one. I appreciate finance options can work out better on new but all things being equal in that respect you can get a one year old MY with 10K miles for about £41K. still with 3 years and 30K miles on the general Warranty. That's a pretty good saving and definitely what I would do if I was paying cash. You would also be able to get USS if you did that. And there have been no additions to the MY that I know of since then so you won't lose anything significant spec wise.

I bought a new MY last year . Mainly cos I got a crazy good trade in price on my M3 and the few used ones that were available were almost as much as new.
BUT
If I was buying today I would be getting a used one. I appreciate finance options can work out better on new but all things being equal in that respect you can get a one year old MY with 10K miles for about £41K. still with 3 years and 30K miles on the general Warranty. That's a pretty good saving and definitely what I would do if I was paying cash. You would also be able to get USS if you did that. And there have been no additions to the MY that I know of since then so you won't lose anything significant spec wise.
Here’s a thought, maybe they’ll switch off the USS at some stage so we’ll all be on vision only!

TIA
If you can wait a year or two, you might want to consider getting the refreshed Model Y.

The refreshed Model 3 got improved suspension; a better, faster screen; a screen for the back seats; ventilated front seats; better efficiency; and some other goodies. Unfortunately there is no guarantee for when the refreshed Model Y will be released. If I could wait and still afford new then that is what I would do.

Also, the cost for Tesla to build EVs should drop in the coming years. Whether this is reflected in the price will depend on supply and demand. My guess is demand will be through the roof so the lower production costs will give Tesla higher margins instead of giving customers lower prices.

Reactions: kuruma
My main reason for getting a Model Y over a 3 was because of the massive double pushchair we had, that didn’t fold down very much. The hatch is really handy for piling stuff in.
Not reached the stage of parenthood yet where you realise that a folding McLaren buggy is superior in every way than the ridiculous £500 contraption you bought originally, check.

I have never read posts so full of rubbish as this one mostly from posters that may have test driven a Y but have not owned both.
There is a good reason why the Model Y is the best selling car....because it is a real car!
I have owned 3 model 3s and 2 Model Ys. There is no comparison between the 3 and the Y.
The 3 is a boy racer and very uncomfortable. The Y is a proper family car. Do not concentrate on what bells and whistles one or the other have.
At the moment you should find a second hand Model Y.
I suspect you will find one considerably cheaper than £40k in perfect condition.
Mine is 12 months old YLR with 3500 miles and Tesla quoted me £33k as a Trade in. WBAC currently offer me £36.5k.
Today I would buy a second hand under 12 months old. They are a bargain, still the best EVs for the price.

There is a good reason why the Model Y is the best selling car....because it is a real car!
I have owned 3 model 3s and 2 Model Ys. There is no comparison between the 3 and the Y.
You're right, there is no comparison. As a car, the Model 3 is superior.

As something to carry out family duties, the hatch makes the Y superior. If the 3 had a hatch then it would be pretty level.

I have nothing against my Y, I like it, but there's a reason why I always pick the 3 when I have the choice of either car

Reactions: Stan930
I have never read posts so full of rubbish as this one mostly from posters that may have test driven a Y but have not owned both.
The 3 is a boy racer and very uncomfortable. The Y is a proper family car. Do not concentrate on what bells and whistles one or the other have.
At the moment you should find a second hand Model Y.
I suspect you will find one considerably cheaper than £40k in perfect condition.
Mine is 12 months old YLR with 3500 miles and Tesla quoted me £33k as a Trade in. WBAC currently offer me £36.5k.
Today I would buy a second hand under 12 months old. They are a bargain, still the best EVs for the price.
I have had both and I disagree. The M3 boot is huge it just cannot take large individual items. I bought some custom luggage for mine which was the equivalent of 2 large and 2 medium suitcases and was fine for family holidays. It is also so wide that you can get a suitcase on the (flat) floor between two rear seat passengers and still leave them lots of space.
Having said that I did change from an M3 to an MY for space reasons. kids at Uni etc. And it is undoubtedly bigger and more practical BUT with the seats up I find the MY boot not as big as you think. I still cannot get 4 suitcases in it due to the slope of the tailgate so I am still using some of the M3 custom luggage.
So I don't think its as cut and dried as you make out. I liked the look and the way the M3 drove better. I also don't think there is any difference in comfort. if anything the MYLR suspension is harder than the M3LR was.
If only they had made the M3 a hatch back I think I would still be driving one.

I agree that MY are a second hand bargain but the prices you quote are irrelevant. They are the lowest prices you might sell yours for into the trade not what someone could buy one for unless you are offering to sell the Op yours for that money which I would not recommend since a one year old with that mileage would go for at least $43k on Autotrader.

My main reason for getting a Model Y over a 3 was because of the massive double pushchair we had, that didn’t fold down very much. The hatch is really handy for piling stuff in.
The Model 3 boot is pretty cavernous once you get something inside it. We use to have a mountain buggy before Model 3 and pretty certain that unless you wanted to store on end, even a double would have fitted easily inside.

The biggest issue imho is car weight limits. It’s pretty small on Model 3 (don’t think of giving your rugby team mates a lift) but I am sure Model Y must have higher weight limits - should be on sticker on front passenger DOP (door frame).