Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective Film & Self Parking Interference or Conflict?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

Has anyone installed protective film and had any issues with Self Parking not working?

I had a protective film installed on the front end. When I took delivery of the vehicle, the
Self park feature does not seem to work whatsoever. I drove around with a Tesla tech who
verified this as well. He opened up a case, but seemed a bit "new" on the job.

Thanks!

Make sure that they cut out circles in the film over the ultrasonic sensors. Film over those sensors will interfere with their operation. And just for kicks, check the settings on the screen to be sure that you have autopark enabled.
Nope, that is not the case. I installed 3M clear bra without sensor holes, and no issues with sensors. I highly doubt if sensor can not see thru 8 mil clear sheet.

Nope, that is not the case. I installed 3M clear bra without sensor holes, and no issues with sensors. I highly doubt if sensor can not see thru 8 mil clear sheet.
Could be that you got lucky, or perhaps the model 3 sensors are better than previous versions. But we've been through this before and even the manufacturer of XPEL recommends cutting out holes for the parking sensors.
Xpel front wrap & parking sensor issues

Could be that you got lucky, or perhaps the model 3 sensors are better than previous versions. But we've been through this before and even the manufacturer of XPEL recommends cutting out holes for the parking sensors.
Xpel front wrap & parking sensor issues

I do not think so. May be this is specific to kind of wrap. I have this for more than a month now, and I drove close to 2.2k miles with EAP, as well as usual parking distance. No difference before and after.

I do not think so. May be this is specific to kind of wrap. I have this for more than a month now, and I drove close to 2.2k miles with EAP, as well as usual parking distance. No difference before and after.
You didn't have the problem. Congratulations. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist for anyone. I experienced it personally as detailed in the other thread. In this thread I am at least trying to be helpful and give the OP some things to check for why their autopark doesn't work.

I had my X wrapped in 3m vinyl (super matte black)

I immediately had issues with front right sensor (which also affected autopark) i was able to smooth out the wrap around the sensor and it functions 90% of the time.

That being said, i also plan to have a ceramic coat added soon (for easier cleaning, the matte black vinyl attracts dirt) and when i do i plan to have the sensors cut out. (All of them)

I think covering your sensors with vinyl will be hit or miss, i would suggest having them cut to begin with and save the worry.

Reactions: LoL Rick
Its official:
ANY gap/bubble/not perfect seal on the sensor _could_ cause issues, no matter how tiny the defect. That being said if the wrap is put on "perfect" to a good eye you should be able to still see the sensor outline thru the wrap.

Personally my issue was caused by the smallest deformation.
15426189396083967188193502681304.jpg
flawed above,
Perfect below
15426190117293088743544363506547.jpg
i could fully suspect that flaw isnt the vinyls fault, but the sensor itself not being "set right".
Next SC visit i plan to have them take a peek at it.

Edit: top picture is passenger front, bottom is driver front, (all other sensors match bottom photo apperance)