TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Protective Film & Self Parking Interference or Conflict?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by samsonDot, Jul 24, 2018.

1. samsonDot

samsonDot New Member

Hello-

Has anyone installed protective film and had any issues with Self Parking not working?

I had a protective film installed on the front end. When I took delivery of the vehicle, the
    Self park feature does not seem to work whatsoever. I drove around with a Tesla tech who
    verified this as well. He opened up a case, but seemed a bit "new" on the job.

Thanks!

2. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Make sure that they cut out circles in the film over the ultrasonic sensors. Film over those sensors will interfere with their operation. And just for kicks, check the settings on the screen to be sure that you have autopark enabled.

3. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

Nope, that is not the case. I installed 3M clear bra without sensor holes, and no issues with sensors. I highly doubt if sensor can not see thru 8 mil clear sheet.

4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Could be that you got lucky, or perhaps the model 3 sensors are better than previous versions. But we've been through this before and even the manufacturer of XPEL recommends cutting out holes for the parking sensors.
    Xpel front wrap & parking sensor issues

5. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I do not think so. May be this is specific to kind of wrap. I have this for more than a month now, and I drove close to 2.2k miles with EAP, as well as usual parking distance. No difference before and after.

6. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

You didn't have the problem. Congratulations. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist for anyone. I experienced it personally as detailed in the other thread. In this thread I am at least trying to be helpful and give the OP some things to check for why their autopark doesn't work.

7. SouthBayGuy

SouthBayGuy Member

I thought I read somewhere your warranty is void if there is an issue related to the sensors not working properly?