Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Cleveland area counties requiring e-check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2013.
Nov 12, 2014
Mentor, Ohio
I got a rejection notice from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles for license plate renewal for my Model S. It said I needed to comply with the mandated e-check. This applies to folks residing in these Ohio counties: Cuyahoga; Geauga; Lake; Lorain; Medina; Portage; and Summit.

Called the folks at e-check and made NO headway. Called the BMV and was unable to resolve the issue by phone. Each referred me to the local branch of the EPA.

Apparently, the BMV does not code the database, that is effected by the EPA.

Faxing registration to the EPA office and asking for exemption will in turn start the process to mark the vehicle in the records of DMV.

Apparently this can only be initiated by the owner.

I was going WTF is this as to me e-check is an electronic check I use for paying taxes or something to not pay a credit card fee. :D

So they really don’t know YET how to handle a BEV’s lack of emission’s hardware?! Lol is all.

Speaking of which, a year ago before I got my X, I had a conversation with Virginia DMV about something similar. Most of Virginia can register for 3 years. The northern counties and a few others can’t because they have to get (you guessed it) an emissions inspection every two years.

I was checking to see if a Tesla could get a 3 year registration in Loudoun County and they said nope, website ain’t coded for it, sorry, bub.

Well, when I came to renew this year (initial registration by the SC was one year) I checked my options and,
lo and behold, I did have the three year option.

So, the gears grind slowly but they do grind! :D

Reactions: croman