Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA Frunk Dents Super Easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Closing the frunk has been a challenge. At delivery today we noticed our hood was dented from closing the frunk. Tesla is taking care of the issue but I would LOVE an auto open and close option ASAP or a solution that does not require nearly as much force *OR* an aftermarket hood that has more structure built into it so the hood will not dent.

i noticed this too. I’ve been quite careful with it but it’s something that needs a fix.

I noticed something like this but only after I took delivery and drove my M3 off the lot. My frunk right in the area of the T emblem sunk a bit deeper than either side. Whether this was due to denting from closure or factory-delivered “wonkiness” I’ll never know. It’s only noticeable when I run my fingers on the edge and you can’t tell just by looking at it, so I guess it’s not that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ralbright
I have an aluminum front hood on my 2017 Bolt, it's very fragile too. You have to drop it from about 12" up to engage the first lock then gently press down on both sides of the center-front to engage the second lock. I try to open it only when the wiper fluid needs refilling, and I make sure I fill that to the brim each time. Waxing/polishing it is also a challenge, if you dare wait too long and the wax hardens... good luck getting it off without denting the hood.

Sounds like the MY frunk should really be used to store items that aren't often needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
I have an aluminum front hood on my 2017 Bolt, it's very fragile too. You have to drop it from about 12" up to engage the first lock then gently press down on both sides of the center-front to engage the second lock. I try to open it only when the wiper fluid needs refilling, and I make sure I fill that to the brim each time. Waxing/polishing it is also a challenge, if you dare wait too long and the wax hardens... good luck getting it off without denting the hood.

Sounds like the MY frunk should really be used to store items that aren't often needed.
Closing the frunk has been a challenge. At delivery today we noticed our hood was dented from closing the frunk. Tesla is taking care of the issue but I would LOVE an auto open and close option ASAP or a solution that does not require nearly as much force *OR* an aftermarket hood that has more structure built into it so the hood will not dent.
Curious here, are you denting it while following their recommendation for closing the frunk?

Both hands on either side of the logo, and a firm press down? I won’t say the frunk isn’t a little tedious to close this way, but I haven’t seen any denting issues on my 3 when closed as prescribed.

Yeah, this isn't unique to the Model Y. There are a bunch of threads in the Model 3 forums on this subject. Basically, you can't treat it as you would a regular car hood by letting it drop or slamming it shut. Also, to get the second latch to engage, you place your hands where indicated in the manual and then press down and hold until you hear and feel the latch catching, using a motion akin to smothering someone with a pillow rather than doing CPR.

There's also threads there on motorized kits that will close the frunk for you. I expect these aftermarket vendors will come up with a Model Y version once the car is more widely available for them to engineer and test.

That said, I only use the frunk on my Model 3 for storing infrequently used items, such as cleaning supplies, tire repair kit and front license plate. I don't like leaving handprints on the hood.

Read the manual and have experience w/ S,X, and 3.

Hood was not properly adjusted and required a boat load of force. I took it apart and now it closes nicely but opening seems like it needs adjustment because when it releases it seems like there’s a lot of tension. (definitely not normal)

Reactions: Electric Steve
There is actually a really good fix that TESLA doesn't want to add (makes vehicle about 20-40€ more expensive).
It's similar mechanism as most automatic trunks have. And soft-close doors.

Other way of fixing is NOT making panel superthin.
BMW has aluminium hood since 2005 and it has never been accidentally dented by user closing the hood.
Also it closes with a bang if one wishes. And it has watertight seal all around.

I was having a really hard time closing my frunk on the model Y when I first got it, it was driving me crazy. It took me 10 to 15 tries before it'd luckily close and felt like I was going to dent it. Then I removed the panel trim in the frunk and took a look at the latch mechanism to see what's going on. I found out the latch mechanism was misaligned from factory.

67d03961-9f8a-4da3-afbb-e810d38b18e7-jpeg.526821

All I did was loosen up the screws, make sure they're still aligned within the white half circle lines, tighten the screws, and I was able to close the frunk after hearing two clicks. If you see a small gap between the hood and your bumper after closing the frunk, just loosening up the mechanism again and move it down a bit, make sure it's leveled with the half circle lines. You can also adjust the two rubber stoppers on the frunk panel to even out the gap.

My frunk is closing fine now using the two hand method.

I was having a really hard time closing my frunk on the model Y when I first got it, it was driving me crazy. It took me 10 to 15 tries before it'd luckily close and felt like I was going to dent it. Then I removed the panel trim in the frunk and took a look at the latch mechanism to see what's going on. I found out the latch mechanism was misaligned from factory.

67d03961-9f8a-4da3-afbb-e810d38b18e7-jpeg.526821

All I did was loosen up the screws, make sure they're still aligned within the white half circle lines, tighten the screws, and I was able to close the frunk after hearing two clicks. If you see a small gap between the hood and your bumper after closing the frunk, just loosening up the mechanism again and move it down a bit, make sure it's leveled with the half circle lines. You can also adjust the two rubber stoppers on the frunk panel to even out the gap.

My frunk is closing fine now using the two hand method.
Great info.

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
This issue is one of the reasons that I don't even use the frunk (unless I have smelly take-out that I don't want in the cabin).
I imagine using it to store things that I want to lock up securely and won't need often, such as the tire inflation kit. Groceries or whatever can go in the back, perhaps in the bucket.

It could also be convenient in rare cases where I want to make it easy for someone to pick up an item that I left for them in the car without allowing them in the cabin.

(And, no, I don't see this happening often, but it's plausible, particularly when dealing with neighbors. "Hey, I signed for your package , so just come to my car and text me so that I can open the frunk for you. Be sure to close it gently, with one hand on each side of the center logo.")

I imagine using it to store things that I want to lock up securely and won't need often, such as the tire inflation kit. Groceries or whatever can go in the back, perhaps in the bucket.

It could also be convenient in rare cases where I want to make it easy for someone to pick up an item that I left for them in the car without allowing them in the cabin.

(And, no, I don't see this happening often, but it's plausible, particularly when dealing with neighbors. "Hey, I signed for your package , so just come to my car and text me so that I can open the frunk for you. Be sure to close it gently, with one hand on each side of the center logo.")
On a couple of occasions while holiday shopping, I've used the frunk for overflow concealed storage of packages when the trunk well is already full. Especially during holidays while parked at a mall, I don't leave anything in the main trunk area since I fold down the rear seats to show that it's empty.

I love Tesla, but this is one of those stupid things with Teslas. I've felt my frunk pop in when closing, then luckily pop back out. They really need to double up on the frunk metal in the emblem area so we can close our frunk without a chance of denting. It's so lame that I have to explain how to close the frunk to anyone who is borrowing or detailing the car, the wrap guy, etc. An extra pound on aluminum in the frunk latch area wouldn't hurt a thing for God's sake...