Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Tesla solar panels $1.70-$1.99/watt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone posted this chart today as if it were good news that we've simply kept up install numbers since 2016. It's an embarrassment. Really shows you how much Tesla(SolarCity) meant to the US residential marketplace. I expect rocket growth to pick back up starting 2020 now that Tesla has removed door-to-door sales.

solar installs_quarterly.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and abasile
Someone posted this chart today as if it were good news that we've simply kept up install numbers since 2016. It's an embarrassment. Really shows you how much Tesla(SolarCity) meant to the US residential marketplace. I expect rocket growth to pick back up starting 2020 now that Tesla has removed door-to-door sales.

View attachment 405968
a mere blip, growth is continuing
Terawatt hours thru 2017 generated by PV
upload_2019-5-10_8-49-49.png

number of PV Modules shipped last 15 months in US
(Hawaii is higher, but some data is unavailable for various reasons)
upload_2019-5-10_8-52-10.png

How do you like the all black panels? Those are the ones I want! Was the efficiency a big difference or pretty nominal?

I really like the all black panels especially with the angled edging that Tesla adds around the borders. All of my panels are laid out in a perfect rectangle, kind of like what you see on the Tesla.com energy webpage. They are much nicer looking than my neighbors panels where you can see the grid of lines on each panel.

Reactions: Chancellor32
Tesla is quoting me Hanwha Q-Cells panels. How come they are not selling the Panasonic panels from the Buffalo factory? Are these Q-Cells comparable to the Panasonics? Warranty is only 12 years.

I'm guessing this is how they were able to cut their solar prices. Sorry, I don't know too much about Hanwha vs Panasonic. From the pictures I see online, they look exactly like my Pansonic panels. This site has some info about the differences between panels: Best Solar Panels in 2019: The Definitivie List | EnergySage

Is that what's in your design proposal? That's weird they are doing Hanwha when Panasonic is available

Yes, that is what is in the design proposal. Hanwha Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 / SC 310-320. Based on the sizing I think it is the 315. Looks like they come in groups of 14, so 4.41kw, so pricing is higher than the 4k pricing shown on the website.

Maybe production is not going well at the Buffalo factory.

Reactions: Chancellor32
Yes, that is what is in the design proposal. Hanwha Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5 / SC 310-320. Based on the sizing I think it is the 315. Looks like they come in groups of 14, so 4.41kw, so pricing is higher than the 4k pricing shown on the website.

So you were quoted 4kw and got 4.41? I ordered a 4kw system and just am waiting for the designs to come back.

Mine was 37 of those, specked at 315watt
W/micro inverters IQ7
IQ 8’s will island without batteries btw.

So you were quoted 4kw and got 4.41? I ordered a 4kw system and just am waiting for the designs to come back.

I requested a 4k quote. Need only 3.5, but after new pricing the web order form only has multiple of 4kw. Speced design is for 14 panels at 315 each, so 4.41kw. Pricing is almost 9K after incentives instead of 8K shown on the quote request. I'm waiting to talk to them to see if they can drop some panels to hit the 4kw target and 8K pricing.

Do you know how they know they're islanded? If they're grid-tied and the grid is down they need a way of knowing not to try to energize the grid until the bus is isolated. Is there a gateway? Most of the gateways I've seen from SMA and Tesla run north of ~$3k...
@nwdiver
What I Saw at Enphase - Mind Blown!
"..Not only had the microinverters created a grid on their own .."
no answer on backfeeding grid tho

• Love
Reactions: abasile
Did you pay extra for the IQ7? If so, how much? They are quoting me SolarEdge optimizers. Haven't spoken to them whether there are panel, inverter, and warranty upgrade options.
appx $2.70/watt for 11.655kW
did have to replace one IQ7 after ~2 weeks but doing excellent so far
since 12/10/2018 (5 months)
6.64 MWh produced
2.90 MWh exported (excess)
2.84 MWh consumed
0.9 MWh "gifted" to LCEC

You gents sound very knowledgeable about the IQ7. Which would you pick?

Option 1: Tesla Panasonic 330W all black with SolarEdge optimizers, $2.85/watt or
Option 2: Local guy Panasonic 330W (not all black) either Enphase IQ7X microinverters $2.62/watt.

I'm leaning toward the local guy because the IQ7X microinverters are a better value, in top of saving $0.23/watt.

Reactions: Ulmo
You gents sound very knowledgeable about the IQ7. Which would you pick?

Option 1: Tesla Panasonic 330W all black with SolarEdge optimizers, $2.85/watt or
Option 2: Local guy Panasonic 330W (not all black) either Enphase IQ7X microinverters $2.62/watt.

I'm leaning toward the local guy because the IQ7X microinverters are a better value, in top of saving $0.23/watt.

Panasonic makes 330W all black panels? The only reason I went with 315W panels was because that was the highest they made in all black.