Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSAS4 vs CC2 tires on a Kia EV6 GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got almost 18,000 miles on a set of 19” wheels with Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires on my GT. I just put the 21s back on with the OE Eagle F1 tires and holy crap, I can’t believe the difference in range is as bad as it is. Whereas I was averaging 2.9-3.5mi/kWh in winter on the Hankooks/19s, the efficiency on the 21s (even inflated to 42PSI) is an abysmal 2.2-2.4mi/kWh in mid-50s weather. My aftermarket 19” wheels are not the least bit aerodynamic with completely open spokes, so I’m assuming most of the difference in range is either from the excess weight of the wheels or the Eagle F1’s just a terribly inefficient tire. OP, what were you averaging on the interstate on the PSAS4 at say 70mph? Another thing I’ve noticed is that the EV6 seems to be much more sensitive to even moderately cool temps than other EVs I’ve owned. At 55°F the efficiency is noticeably worse than just 10°F warmer. It doesn’t really matter how cold it is below 55°F, the efficiency stays relatively flat. In the early fall/summer I was anveraging high-3s to low 4s mi/kWh on my 19” setup in city driving and could easily get 3.3-3.5mi/kWh on the interstate at 75mph. No matter what I do with temps much below 60°F the energy consumption is 15-20% worse.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Its been 45-55, and my daily commute is 2.8 or so, on oem size cc2. During summer, ion as suv returned 3.5, as did my psas4s. Upon returning home after driving 82mi, psas4 said 112mi left, ion said 116mi left, or some meaninglessly small difference. (Initial soc 80).

During -7-0f temps, on CC2s, in snow, I averaged around 2.2.

At steady 75mph, on Hankook ion, oem size, I averaged around 2.5 in 80f temps. This, on gps verified flat concrete over 1mi. At 85mph, 2.1. 65mph was 2.9. Ill test on cc2 later.

Last edited:
I’ve got almost 18,000 miles on a set of 19” wheels with Hankook Ion Evo AS SUV tires on my GT. I just put the 21s back on with the OE Eagle F1 tires and holy crap, I can’t believe the difference in range is as bad as it is. Whereas I was averaging 2.9-3.5mi/kWh in winter on the Hankooks/19s, the efficiency on the 21s (even inflated to 42PSI) is an abysmal 2.2-2.4mi/kWh in mid-50s weather. My aftermarket 19” wheels are not the least bit aerodynamic with completely open spokes, so I’m assuming most of the difference in range is either from the excess weight of the wheels or the Eagle F1’s just a terribly inefficient tire. OP, what were you averaging on the interstate on the PSAS4 at say 70mph? Another thing I’ve noticed is that the EV6 seems to be much more sensitive to even moderately cool temps than other EVs I’ve owned. At 55°F the efficiency is noticeably worse than just 10°F warmer. It doesn’t really matter how cold it is below 55°F, the efficiency stays relatively flat. In the early fall/summer I was anveraging high-3s to low 4s mi/kWh on my 19” setup in city driving and could easily get 3.3-3.5mi/kWh on the interstate at 75mph. No matter what I do with temps much below 60°F the energy consumption is 15-20% worse.
I took this for you this morning after getting home from the gym. Temp is accurate for the drive. Tires once warm were 34psi front, 37 rear. 32 and 35, cold, respective. Oem rims with cc2s. Tread depth 9-10/32. Roughly 3k mi on them. Drive mode normal. Beginning SoC 80%.
20240208_054151.jpg

I ran the car in eco mode and tried to drive gently. I used the seat heaters briefly, but really didn't need any heat. I did defog the windscreen every now and then if it fogged. Basically hypermiled it. OEM rims CC2. Temp on the dash. Note the commute distances and times. Same circuit pretty much.
20240209_071401.jpg

Reactions: DarkNightP3D
I ran the car in eco mode and tried to drive gently. I used the seat heaters briefly, but really didn't need any heat. I did defog the windscreen every now and then if it fogged. Basically hypermiled it. OEM rims CC2. Temp on the dash. Note the commute distances and times. Same circuit pretty much.View attachment 1016862
I am debating between ordering a set of new tires for the 21s to see how much of an improvement just tires can make vs. the smaller wheels, or just putting the 19s back on. 21s look nicer but the steering feels so much heavier and less responsive than the 20lb per wheel lighter 19” wheels I have in my garage. Ride quality is a wash really. EV6 GT rides much nicer than a Model 3 or Y even on the 21” wheels so no complaints there. It was nice getting 40 extra miles of range on road trips when I had the smaller wheels. Every 0.1mi/kWh is about 7.4 miles of range loss. I have seen some testing of the CC2 on Model 3 and there was 15-20% loss in efficiency vs. the OE Michelin MXM4 or Hankook Ventus, so I’m curious if I swapped to the Ion Evo AS SUV on the 21s if I could claw back most of the difference I’ve lost.

I am debating between ordering a set of new tires for the 21s to see how much of an improvement just tires can make vs. the smaller wheels, or just putting the 19s back on. 21s look nicer but the steering feels so much heavier and less responsive than the 20lb per wheel lighter 19” wheels I have in my garage. Ride quality is a wash really. EV6 GT rides much nicer than a Model 3 or Y even on the 21” wheels so no complaints there. It was nice getting 40 extra miles of range on road trips when I had the smaller wheels. Every 0.1mi/kWh is about 7.4 miles of range loss. I have seen some testing of the CC2 on Model 3 and there was 15-20% loss in efficiency vs. the OE Michelin MXM4 or Hankook Ventus, so I’m curious if I swapped to the Ion Evo AS SUV on the 21s if I could claw back most of the difference I’ve lost.
Evo as and psas4 returned near identical range for me. Both averaged 3.3-3.5 on my daily commute in the summer. The ions werent near as good in the wet.