Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull tab to manual charge port release broke off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me when I was a new owner and I misunderstood the directions of Tesla support. I yanked the hell out of the tab and it came off.

Yes, got to your local service center. When this happened to me, I just dropped by without an appointment and they fixed it on the spot.

Well, I've got some interesting news. Tesla mobile service came today to replace the cable. When he took the cover off the charging unit from the trunk, he discovered that the manual cable release was never connected! That's why I was unable to unlock the charger by pulling on the cable. It now works perfectly. Thank goodness there was a 120V outlet nearby so we could test with the charger plugged in.

He also performed service on two unrelated issues. The little plastic plugs in the charging port have been redesigned so they are less likely to fall out, so he replaced them. He also cut a little bit of plastic under the frunk locking mechanism. Apparently, the latch might get stuck and be unable to open.

I swear. I didn't pull hard on it, but the little plastic pull tab broke off the manual release cable. Do I need to go to the service center or can I glue it back on? Has this happened to anyone else?

I have to use the manual release to unlock a cable at a non-Tesla charging station the other day. After pulling the string twice it felt like it was detached from wherever it was supposed to be. I have a mobile service appointment booked to fix it. To my surprise, although my car is still under warranty the estimated out-of-pocket costs are estimated to be AUD $770.00 (equivalent to about USD$550.00).

A search of people who came across similar problems led me here. Looks like I am the only one with this bill shock. I hope when the technician come, they only need to re-attach the cable and I don't have to replace the whole thing.

Attachments

• Service costs.jpg
    Service costs.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 614
  • tab.jpg
    tab.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 458
I have to use the manual release to unlock a cable at a non-Tesla charging station the other day. After pulling the string twice it felt like it was detached from wherever it was supposed to be. I have a mobile service appointment booked to fix it. To my surprise, although my car is still under warranty the estimated out-of-pocket costs are estimated to be AUD $770.00 (equivalent to about USD$550.00).

A search of people who came across similar problems led me here. Looks like I am the only one with this bill shock. I hope when the technician come, they only need to re-attach the cable and I don't have to replace the whole thing.

The bill might be a mistake.

The bill might be a mistake.
Well, I did called their service hotline after receiving the estimate and was told that until the technician check it in person, the number remains at $770. I am not sure if it was because in the Tesla app, I mentioned "I was not sure if I pulled the ring too hard that it fell out of place." To be honest, if the release mechanism can so easily be damaged with one person pulling it twice with one hand, I am disappointed with their quality of the design and build. Anyway, I will know the answer in two weeks to see if I need to foot that hefty bill.

Had this problem with one of our cars today (all-Tesla taxi company), and thought I'd share what I learned because this thread was one of the first things that I found on Google when our latch broke off and I was searching for answers. So maybe it will help someone else.

A couple of points:
* The release system is actually electrical, not mechanical. So pulling the latch harder doesn't do any good.
* Some cars have a plastic cover on top of this, which makes fixing it yourself a bit harder

latausportin_vapautusvipu_001.png

Anyways. The thing works like a bicycle hand brake. When you pull the lever, the metal cable inside tightens and pulls that black plastic part up (green).
In our case it was the black zip tie, or actually it's base that broke off (red).
I got it fixed by taping it back in place with duct tape and the latch seemed to work after that. Although, for how long, I'm not sure. Thankfully we have a service appointment next week and they promised to fix it then.

Here it is "fixed":

latausportin_vapautusvipu_002.png