Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Advice For Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm looking at a few used model S options here in NZ from the local Tesla showroom. Haven't physically seen any of them because we are in lockdown with Corona virus prevention - it's nice to dream though! Essentially I've got it down to three options and would appreciate opinions. Tesla NZ is putting a 4 year, 80,000 km warranty on all of them and all have the 8 year battery warranty from when they were first registered:

1) April 2017 P100D with ludicrous mode. Only 30,000 km. Premium seats (black), but no other premium interior stuff, standard stereo, no cold weather pack (so heated fronts only), no power boot. Full self driving. Battery warranty through April 2025

2) November 2017 P100D no ludicrous mode. About 51,000 km, all premium features including ultra HiFi but with the white interior. Autopilot only. Battery warranty through November 2025.

3) 2019 P100D, no ludicrous mode, 30,000 km. Black premium interior with ultra HiFi. Autopilot only. Battery warranty to 2028.

Options 1 and 2 are basically the same price, and option 3 is about 15% more expensive.

Thanks so much for your advice, and keep safe.

I agree with Uncle Paul. Option #3 might appeal to some since it’s newer, especially if it is a Raven (introduced in April 2019), but Option #1 offers good bang for the buck with low miles.

Thanks - that's the one my wife wants ;). I have paid a holding fee on the 2017 Ludicrous and as we're in Covid-19 lockdown I have at least another three weeks to agonise over the choice and interested to see if a few people reply if an overall preference will appear. Also, a total noob question on my part, but is ludicrous mode JUST for launch (0-62 mph / 100 kph) or does it apply the performance mode across the whole range; eg would being in ludicrous make it more responsive at highway speeds too?

Ludicrous is not limited to launch. Many keep it on all of the time for passing power, etc. It increases power to 1760 amps. I have heard some say 10% or 35hp increase, but those sound like estimates or speculation to me.

Just a follow-on to my last post. There have been changes to ludicrous over the years. Max battery power, ludicrous+, power restrictions, restrictions removed, etc. I am not sure if the P100D still provides 1760 amps max current in Ludicrous mode or Ludicrous+ with battery warming. That used to be the known number, but I’m not sure if it is still the same anymore. Anyway, you get still get a nice boost for launch and for passing with ludicrous.

Thanks for your input everyone - I'm kind of surprised that more people don't have strongly held opinions! For the 2019 car, I think its April so if its in NZ by April I guess it's not likely to be Raven update - is the best way of telling to simply ask the showroom? I kind of expect to get an "I have no idea" response!

Without Ludicrous you may as well look at 100D in my opinion which should give you more choice.

Option wise, the premium hifi is not the best in my opinion, you can retro fit better if the standard bugged you, rear headed seats would make no difference to me but the heated steering wheel is lovely - depends on your climate and I'd have thought in NZ you'd benefit, the other premium interior bits are also not really worth that much to me, and you can retrofit most of the missing interior lights pretty cheaply as the wiring is there. Same with the powered boot release, there's an aftermarket kit for a retrofit if it botheres you.

The 2017 cars will have MCU1, the 2019 will have MCU2 which is anoither consideration.

Without Ludicrous you may as well look at 100D in my opinion which should give you more choice.

Option wise, the premium hifi is not the best in my opinion, you can retro fit better if the standard bugged you, rear headed seats would make no difference to me but the heated steering wheel is lovely - depends on your climate and I'd have thought in NZ you'd benefit, the other premium interior bits are also not really worth that much to me, and you can retrofit most of the missing interior lights pretty cheaply as the wiring is there. Same with the powered boot release, there's an aftermarket kit for a retrofit if it botheres you.

The 2017 cars will have MCU1, the 2019 will have MCU2 which is anoither consideration.

The #2 option would have also had HW 2.5 vice 2.0, which gives access to things like Sentry mode. Now, Tesla is allowing swap outs of the HW/MCU for all FSD cars, so moot point.