Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting Model S 19" Slipstreams on my Model X Performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run my 2017 Model X with 245/55R19s at between 42 and 44 lbs of pressure. The sticker on the car calls for 42lbs all the way around. I changed the Michelin Premier LTX 245/55/19 at 50,000 miles and replaced them with Michelin Defender LTX as the Premiers are NLA in this size. The new tires seem to be wearing and riding very similar to the old ones.

that s good to hear, hope new set lasts you awhile...

just experimenting and ordered a new set 245 55 199 bridgestone as well since i have two full sets of ms slipstream 19"... i m sure the 245 vs 255 isn t that great but hopefully wh/mi will go even lower...

so iyo those 245/55/19 are safe at 44psi given no towing?
Yes, the way a tire is rated is "up to X load at Y max sidewall pressure" which means that it will perform as the manufacturer had tested and rated it at for mileage and performance, wet traction, braking, etc.

Tires are also considerably stronger than the ratings, especially in passenger ratings with safety factors built in. You COULD (of course not suggested!) inflate them to double the max rating and they still wouldn't fail, but there would not be any safety factor for pressure gain due to temperature rise.

I have been running with my Michelin CrossClimate2 tires (245/45/19 from my Model S) on the X at 60lbs, doing an experiment to see if there is any adverse handling or wear, and looking at the wh/mi for changes. Of course trying to find the most efficiency. This has gotten me around 415wh/mi on the highway while towing, with near zero tongue weight (about 50 lbs) and a trailer that is only around 800 lbs.

Even in winter operation in chain controlled areas in California (Donner Pass) there was no loss of traction at all, they performed perfectly. They don't seem to gain any pressure from temperature either, unless I am operating them at the sidewall max of 50 psi. Wear has been even across the tire thus far, over 15k miles on them (10k on this last road trip)

Reactions: oldsport
Yes, the way a tire is rated is "up to X load at Y max sidewall pressure" which means that it will perform as the manufacturer had tested and rated it at for mileage and performance, wet traction, braking, etc.

Tires are also considerably stronger than the ratings, especially in passenger ratings with safety factors built in. You COULD (of course not suggested!) inflate them to double the max rating and they still wouldn't fail, but there would not be any safety factor for pressure gain due to temperature rise.

I have been running with my Michelin CrossClimate2 tires (245/45/19 from my Model S) on the X at 60lbs, doing an experiment to see if there is any adverse handling or wear, and looking at the wh/mi for changes. Of course trying to find the most efficiency. This has gotten me around 415wh/mi on the highway while towing, with near zero tongue weight (about 50 lbs) and a trailer that is only around 800 lbs.

Even in winter operation in chain controlled areas in California (Donner Pass) there was no loss of traction at all, they performed perfectly. They don't seem to gain any pressure from temperature either, unless I am operating them at the sidewall max of 50 psi. Wear has been even across the tire thus far, over 15k miles on them (10k on this last road trip)
awesome input... my trailer is 1k lb, so i m not worried...

was thinkin gettin ao set of 19 - saw a set on tst...

they also have the same wheels on ebay for under $800 while tst s are over $1900...

what s the deal?