TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Question about disaster planning - until the backlog is cleared.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by djplong, Mar 20, 2018.

1. djplong

djplong Member

Does anyone have an idea as to how this situation would work?

I'm a non-owner, line-waiter, waiting for my configuration invite. Let's say I get my invite, configure my car and a few weeks later, I'm a happy Tesla Model 3 owner.

A week or two into my ownership, some drunken nutjob runs a red light and smashes into me. i'm ok thanks to the car's safety features, but the car is totalled. All that's left is the check from my insurance company, which will pay off the note but I'm pretty sure I won't have as much left over as my initial down payment (thanks to depreciation).

Will I have to wait a YEAR for a replacement Model 3? Or would I be treated as a prior Tesla owner and be able to order/configure immediately, as some 2018 Model S buyers did in February?

2. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

I'd call Tesla and ask them directly. From what's been reported it sounds like owner priority is over for new reservations so, in theory you might have to wait. On the other hand Tesla does seem to go out of their way at times to "do the right thing" so you may be able to get a replacement pretty quickly.

• Like x 1
  3. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

I believe this has already occurred and if I am not mistaken, they got a better spot in line then they would normally for a replacement. Of course I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time. LOL!

Dan

4. Need

Need Active Member

I thought "M3 owner's priority bump" is only for Roadster/MS/MX owners not for M3 owners. Because if M3 owners get priority, you will see a lot of people order a 2nd M3 for their family/friend after receiving the first?

5. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

That's true, but @djplong was talking about the special case where the car was totaled or something else happening where you needed to replace it.