Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Time EV Buyer (Help...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am looking to replace my current car (2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD), and I am considering purchasing a 2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range or a 2015+ Toyota Tacoma.

Going from an ICE car to an EV is rather worrisome for me simply because of all the unknowns. I'm trying really hard right now to research everything I can about the car to make myself more familiar. I've driven a Model 3 twice now, and I seriously enjoy the driving experience, and the car itself.

There is A LOT that I don't know about EV ownership, so I'm coming to you guys for any advice I can get. What do you think? Should I stick to another ICE car for my next vehicle, or try something new and go to an EV?

Thank you,
Alex

Hello all,

I am looking to replace my current car (2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD), and I am considering purchasing a 2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range or a 2015+ Toyota Tacoma.

Going from an ICE car to an EV is rather worrisome for me simply because of all the unknowns. I'm trying really hard right now to research everything I can about the car to make myself more familiar. I've driven a Model 3 twice now, and I seriously enjoy the driving experience, and the car itself.

There is A LOT that I don't know about EV ownership, so I'm coming to you guys for any advice I can get. What do you think? Should I stick to another ICE car for my next vehicle, or try something new and go to an EV?

Thank you,
Alex
Give EV a shot! i’m 1 year in on my first EV and so far so good. Vehicle maintenance of EVs is minimal (wipers, tires, windshield washer fluid, cabin air filter). No oil changes, no oil filters, no spark plugs, no transmission fluid, no brake fluid, no belts, brake pads will last a very long time (hardly used thanks to regenerative braking).

Smooth, quiet….it just works and it’s easy. plug it in when you get home and wake up to a “full tank” in the morning.

unless you have a crazy long commute i would go EV 100%. Tesla’s charging network, and route planning, has you covered for long distance road trips too. what are you worried about?

You’re kind of all over the place. From a Crossover to a sedan or a truck?

What do you actually need out of the car?

Actually the first question is can you install a charger at home? Or do you have charging at work? If not then I wouldn’t get an EV.

Hello all,

Thank you,
Alex
I switched to Tesla since 2012 and have been doing fine without ICE all these years.

I instantly loved the regen on the first drive. It's intuitive for me with 1-pedal driving.

There were only a handful of Superchargers in 2012 so I had to heavily rely on overnight charging while on the road. Las Vegas didn't have one but charging overnight worked.

Now there are just so many superchargers so you don't have to much homework as did in 2012 to look for overnight charging.

EV is best convenient for home charging. Make sure you have access to an electrical outlet at home.

120v is barely fine if you don't drive much and not in freezing temperatures. If you drive more or your region get cold, you need a 240v outlet.

I would choose the longest range that I can afford.

Good luck.

Reactions: Don.Church
what are these 'unknowns' that you're worried about? The biggest issue for ones coming from ICE to an EV for the first time is range anxiety. A lot of that is just learning what your realistic range really is, where/how you will charge (like mentioned above if you're able to charge at home or not), etc. I personally would not buy an EV that I had to solely rely on supercharging. They're getting more and more crowded and nothing interrupts your day like having to go and sit and wait in a line to even get to a charger.

So my biggest suggestion is to definitely have a level 2 installed in your garage. My wife absolutely loves waking up every morning with a 'full tank' and never having to worry about when/where to get gas.

Then you combine the torque, quietness, etc of the EV, you won't go back. We've been driving EV's for 10+ years now. Both our cars are now EV's (Rivian R1T and Model 3 RWD)

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Echo the previous comments about having home charging but in my case, I don't have it. Here's my story:

I had a 2000 BMW 323i which was enjoyable to drive, but not necessarily to own. You probably know about one of the definitions of BMW: Bring My Wallet. After 17 years of driving it, I saw that Tesla was going to release the Model 3, the "affordable" Tesla. I put in my reservation on the night it was unveiled and patiently waited until I was notified that I could configure one. That was June 2018 and I had the car (2018 Long Range RWD) in my hands on July 3, 2018. During the wait I read up on all of the things that EVs could save me money on, but also what some of the tradeoffs were.

For me, at the time I was working, the company had installed several dozen Level 2 (L2: 240VAC) chargers and a couple of DC Fast Chargers (DCFC). Those L2 chargers would provide about 22 miles per hour in range and used the standard J1772 plug. The Model 3 was not initially delivered with support for using either the CCS or CHAdeMO plugs that the DCFCs had. No Tesla Superchargers or Destination Chargers were installed by the company. Employees were allowed four hours of parking at a charger, after which a fee was assessed. Otherwise, charging your car was free. Since my commute to work was about 17 miles each way, I only needed to charge my car about twice a week. Thus, I had no reason or desire to install the Tesla Wall Connector that I already had. Can't beat fee fuel, yes?

A year goes by and the entire department gets laid off. There goes the free electricity. Just before that happened, Tesla provided an over-the-air software update which allowed the use of a $500 CHAdeMO adapter (converts the CHAdeMO plug into the one that is used by the car - now called the North American Charging Standard: NACS). You probably heard recently that almost every EV manufacturer has declared support for NACS, basically so that they can get access to the Tesla Supercharging network.

Near my house, there's a CHAdeMO charger which is subsidized by the company which hosts those chargers. It costs $0.19 per kilowatt-hour (kWh). That's less than 1/2 as much as it costs me for the cheapest residential rate from PG&E. Since I don't drive all that much anymore, to me it didn't make sense to install the Wall Connector as a cheaper source of electrons is only a mile away. Yes, that does mean I sit in a parking lot for about an hour to get 40+ kWh. In fact, I did that yesterday and for 42.446 kWh it ran me $8.06. In mileage terms, I started charging with 106 miles "in the tank" and 57 minutes later I had 273 miles. In battery percentages, that's a starting level of 35% and ending at 90%. Like I said earlier, I have a 2018 Long Range RWD, which currently has 29K miles on the odometer. Initial range was 310 miles so now with 273 miles at 90%, that's an estimated full range of 303 miles. Not too bad for 5 1/2 year old car which has been DC charged for the last 4.5 years. That's one thing owning an EV which is (slightly) different than an ICE: the battery's capacity, and thus it's driving range, WILL degrade over time. An ICE will also probably lose some full tank range but not many people track their gas mileage or it's not all that obvious to the owner. An ICE wears down over time. The rings don't seal as well and power goes down and gas consumption goes up. Plugs get fouled and doesn't fully ignite the air-fuel mixture.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited by design to only a maximum of 50kW. I generally get a bit less than that; 44-45 is about average. If the CHAdeMO station is busy I go to a local Urban Supercharger. That has a maximum power of 72kW but again, it's usually less than that - upper 60s is what I see. Know that the power will fluctuate according to how much of a charge is already in the battery. When the EV battery is at its lowest state of charge, the power being delivered will be at its highest. The reverse is true: when the battery is almost full, the charging rate is drastically lower. It's said that repeated DC charging is "bad" for your battery. It will cause it to degrade faster. That's true to some extent but it's probably only if you're going to 250kW chargers all the time, like two or three times a week.

Fuel is just one cost differential between EV and ICE. You're aware of the lack of "normal" maintenance items that ICE entails. No oil changes, no transmission fluid to monitor, no engine air filter, plugs, or fuel injection system to worry about. However, owning an EV does mean more tire replacements since the vehicle is heavier and that tends to wear down the tires faster. Also car insurance can be more expensive, especially for a Tesla. You do still have to pay attention to the brakes, but not to the extent of an ICE since it's assumed that most of the braking action will be done using regen. That's where the car's motors act as a generator and put a small amount of power back into the battery while simultaneously slowing the car down. So the brake pads may last longer but you still have to look after the brake fluid.

TL;DR I guess the basic question to you is what kind of driving do you do? Major trips of over 1,000 miles or just commuting to work and driving around town? And what's your location? USA is kind of nebulous. Are you near major cities or out in the boonies? My car has been very reliable and has not needed any major service. But then again, I live in San Jose, CA and there's several service centers within 30 miles of me so it didn't bother me to buy a first generation EV since I knew that help would be nearby. If you are in the middle Wyoming, Montana or even Nevada, I'd stick with an ICE.

Here's a map of Tesla Service Centers in the lower 48:

2023 Model Y. The best overall options. Charging is not a problem, its overblown by haters. Go with the long range options if you are worried about range but you can't go wrong with Y. It is the best selling car in the world (ICE or EV) for a reason. It is really that good. Go do a test drive, you will love the experience, the space etc. Right now it is also on a good deal.

I switched to Tesla since 2012 and have been doing fine without ICE all these years.

I instantly loved the regen on the first drive. It's intuitive for me with 1-pedal driving.

There were only a handful of Superchargers in 2012 so I had to heavily rely on overnight charging while on the road. Las Vegas didn't have one but charging overnight worked.

Now there are just so many superchargers so you don't have to much homework as did in 2012 to look for overnight charging.

EV is best convenient for home charging. Make sure you have access to an electrical outlet at home.

120v is barely fine if you don't drive much and not in freezing temperatures. If you drive more or your region get cold, you need a 240v outlet.

I would choose the longest range that I can afford.

Good luck.
You make a great point about the one pedal driving feature. It makes for a smooth driving experience, and it increases the life of the brakes. I have access to a 240V outlet in my garage as well as barn, so I think I should be safe. Thank you for the response!

Give EV a shot! i’m 1 year in on my first EV and so far so good. Vehicle maintenance of EVs is minimal (wipers, tires, windshield washer fluid, cabin air filter). No oil changes, no oil filters, no spark plugs, no transmission fluid, no brake fluid, no belts, brake pads will last a very long time (hardly used thanks to regenerative braking).

Smooth, quiet….it just works and it’s easy. plug it in when you get home and wake up to a “full tank” in the morning.

unless you have a crazy long commute i would go EV 100%. Tesla’s charging network, and route planning, has you covered for long distance road trips too. what are you worried about?
I like your enthusiasm! The decreased maintenance of an EV is a great selling point, and I'm really looking forward not to doing oil changes in my barn in 20 degrees Fahrenheit weather. Fortunately, my commute is less than 40 miles round trip so I really shouldn't have to worry about running out of range. Thank you for the reply.

I like your enthusiasm! The decreased maintenance of an EV is a great selling point, and I'm really looking forward not to doing oil changes in my barn in 20 degrees Fahrenheit weather. Fortunately, my commute is less than 40 miles round trip so I really shouldn't have to worry about running out of range. Thank you for the reply.
Without knowing what state you live in it’s hard to help you. Having a home 240v charger is the way to go.

In western states, Supercharging is easy. In round numbers don’t think about it until you exceed 200 miles. Red dots below are Tesla Superchargers ONLY. No need to display the 3rd party chargers.

IMG_1978.jpeg

My wife and I both drive EV’s and will never drive an ICE car again.

In addition to having a home EVSE, I also recommend making sure there is a Tesla Service Center relatively close to you. I personally would not buy a Tesla if I lived more than 30-45 minutes from the nearest Service Center.

Overcome your worries and go for it!
We are in the southeast US, and drive a Model 3 long range. Around town, short and long road trips. Supercharging is hassle free on the longer trips. Nice to get into the car with cabin preconditioned. One pedal driving is amazing.
Changed tires at 31;000 miles, wiper blades after 2 years. That’s it for maintenance.
The constant OTA updates are a nice perk.

You should seriously consider what type of vehicle you want for the next 5-10 years, think about the environment and climate change.
We have to be the change! If not now, when?

I never set foot in a Tesla until I picked up my 2021 Model 3. I suppose I'm the opposite of you - I just thought... "I'll figure it out".

It's been great. Never going back to ICE. If you have a 240v already in your garage, there's nothing more to think about. Get the car!

Recommendation: get a hardwired EVSE, not a plug-in "mobile connector". Tesla's Wall Connector is very nice. Replace the 240 receptacle with a junction box and hardwire the Wall Connector. It's the safer, better charging option.

Congrats on the new car!!

Reactions: Don.Church
Echo the previous comments about having home charging but in my case, I don't have it. Here's my story:

I had a 2000 BMW 323i which was enjoyable to drive, but not necessarily to own. You probably know about one of the definitions of BMW: Bring My Wallet. After 17 years of driving it, I saw that Tesla was going to release the Model 3, the "affordable" Tesla. I put in my reservation on the night it was unveiled and patiently waited until I was notified that I could configure one. That was June 2018 and I had the car (2018 Long Range RWD) in my hands on July 3, 2018. During the wait I read up on all of the things that EVs could save me money on, but also what some of the tradeoffs were.

For me, at the time I was working, the company had installed several dozen Level 2 (L2: 240VAC) chargers and a couple of DC Fast Chargers (DCFC). Those L2 chargers would provide about 22 miles per hour in range and used the standard J1772 plug. The Model 3 was not initially delivered with support for using either the CCS or CHAdeMO plugs that the DCFCs had. No Tesla Superchargers or Destination Chargers were installed by the company. Employees were allowed four hours of parking at a charger, after which a fee was assessed. Otherwise, charging your car was free. Since my commute to work was about 17 miles each way, I only needed to charge my car about twice a week. Thus, I had no reason or desire to install the Tesla Wall Connector that I already had. Can't beat fee fuel, yes?

A year goes by and the entire department gets laid off. There goes the free electricity. Just before that happened, Tesla provided an over-the-air software update which allowed the use of a $500 CHAdeMO adapter (converts the CHAdeMO plug into the one that is used by the car - now called the North American Charging Standard: NACS). You probably heard recently that almost every EV manufacturer has declared support for NACS, basically so that they can get access to the Tesla Supercharging network.

Near my house, there's a CHAdeMO charger which is subsidized by the company which hosts those chargers. It costs $0.19 per kilowatt-hour (kWh). That's less than 1/2 as much as it costs me for the cheapest residential rate from PG&E. Since I don't drive all that much anymore, to me it didn't make sense to install the Wall Connector as a cheaper source of electrons is only a mile away. Yes, that does mean I sit in a parking lot for about an hour to get 40+ kWh. In fact, I did that yesterday and for 42.446 kWh it ran me $8.06. In mileage terms, I started charging with 106 miles "in the tank" and 57 minutes later I had 273 miles. In battery percentages, that's a starting level of 35% and ending at 90%. Like I said earlier, I have a 2018 Long Range RWD, which currently has 29K miles on the odometer. Initial range was 310 miles so now with 273 miles at 90%, that's an estimated full range of 303 miles. Not too bad for 5 1/2 year old car which has been DC charged for the last 4.5 years. That's one thing owning an EV which is (slightly) different than an ICE: the battery's capacity, and thus it's driving range, WILL degrade over time. An ICE will also probably lose some full tank range but not many people track their gas mileage or it's not all that obvious to the owner. An ICE wears down over time. The rings don't seal as well and power goes down and gas consumption goes up. Plugs get fouled and doesn't fully ignite the air-fuel mixture.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is limited by design to only a maximum of 50kW. I generally get a bit less than that; 44-45 is about average. If the CHAdeMO station is busy I go to a local Urban Supercharger. That has a maximum power of 72kW but again, it's usually less than that - upper 60s is what I see. Know that the power will fluctuate according to how much of a charge is already in the battery. When the EV battery is at its lowest state of charge, the power being delivered will be at its highest. The reverse is true: when the battery is almost full, the charging rate is drastically lower. It's said that repeated DC charging is "bad" for your battery. It will cause it to degrade faster. That's true to some extent but it's probably only if you're going to 250kW chargers all the time, like two or three times a week.

Fuel is just one cost differential between EV and ICE. You're aware of the lack of "normal" maintenance items that ICE entails. No oil changes, no transmission fluid to monitor, no engine air filter, plugs, or fuel injection system to worry about. However, owning an EV does mean more tire replacements since the vehicle is heavier and that tends to wear down the tires faster. Also car insurance can be more expensive, especially for a Tesla. You do still have to pay attention to the brakes, but not to the extent of an ICE since it's assumed that most of the braking action will be done using regen. That's where the car's motors act as a generator and put a small amount of power back into the battery while simultaneously slowing the car down. So the brake pads may last longer but you still have to look after the brake fluid.

TL;DR I guess the basic question to you is what kind of driving do you do? Major trips of over 1,000 miles or just commuting to work and driving around town? And what's your location? USA is kind of nebulous. Are you near major cities or out in the boonies? My car has been very reliable and has not needed any major service. But then again, I live in San Jose, CA and there's several service centers within 30 miles of me so it didn't bother me to buy a first generation EV since I knew that help would be nearby. If you are in the middle Wyoming, Montana or even Nevada, I'd stick with an ICE.

Here's a map of Tesla Service Centers in the lower 48:

Thank you for the informative reply Ray. I'm glad to hear your 2018 Model 3 has worked out so well for you. I live about 10 minutes outside of a city in a more rural area, however there are chargers near me if I would choose to go that route.

I really only drive to school and work. Sometimes I take trips (less than 300 miles round trip) with my friend to go hiking.

Do you think I should buy all the adapters for the Tesla or do you think I don't need any of the adapters? Thank you!

Fun to drive-faster, smarter, quieter,safer than almost EVERY ICE car. There’s: light shows, auto pilot, customize lock and horn sounds, games, phone key, updates that cover all the recalls, no start button or any buttons, no more paying for gas,no lost gas caps or standing in frigid temperatures pumping gas, PIN code to drive for added security, one pedal driving so no more foot on the brakes, etc, etc.

U don’t need a PDH to get an EV, dump the pump, pass on gas.

Fun to drive-faster, smarter, quieter,safer than almost EVERY ICE car. There’s: light shows, auto pilot, customize lock and horn sounds, games, phone key, updates that cover all the recalls, no start button or any buttons, no more paying for gas,no lost gas caps or standing in frigid temperatures pumping gas, PIN code to drive for added security, one pedal driving so no more foot on the brakes, etc, etc.

U don’t need a PDH to get an EV, dump the pump, pass on gas.
Thank you for the response! I am 100% on the EV train and plan on upgrading by the end of this year (hopefully). 👍👍

Thank you for the informative reply Ray. I'm glad to hear your 2018 Model 3 has worked out so well for you. I live about 10 minutes outside of a city in a more rural area, however there are chargers near me if I would choose to go that route.

I really only drive to school and work. Sometimes I take trips (less than 300 miles round trip) with my friend to go hiking.

Do you think I should buy all the adapters for the Tesla or do you think I don't need any of the adapters? Thank you!
Sorry for the delayed response but the forum just notified me about 50 minutes ago to your quoting my message from February.... weird.

Anyway, if you're still in the process of deciding if an EV is for you, I'd say your driving requirements (work, school, home; with an occasional long distance trip - one that needs a refueling stop) could be ideal for an EV. As long as your long trips have Supercharging coverage, I don't see any reason for "range anxiety". As for having all of the Tesla NEMA adapters, you probably don't need every single one as long as you know you can use Superchargers on trips and have home charging available (or public access to Level 2 chargers; e.g., at work or school). Home charging can be a single NEMA adapter used with your mobile connector (MC or UMC), preferably a 240VAC plug (14-30, 14-50) on a suitable circuit, or a hardwired Wall Connector.

The only reason why you would need a bunch of NEMA adapters for the MC, or for that matter, a CCS1 adapter for DC charging, is that you subscribe to the Boy Scouts motto of "be prepared". I have 5 Tesla NEMA adapters for my MC, several non-Tesla odd-ball adapters (TT-30 to 14-30, 14-30/14-50/14-60 to 14-50, CS8269 to 14-50), an old CHAdeMO adapter, and this weekend I should be able to use a CCS1 adapter as I'm scheduled for the retrofit - Model 3s prior to about 2022 are not able to charge at CCS stations as they don't have the required hardware installed in the vehicle. Of all of those adapters, the only one I've used so far in the almost six years I've had my car is the CHAdeMO adapter as that's my primary method of charging. I bought all of the other adapters as I've taken trips to places where those outlets are available, or could possibly be around. On those long trips I've mainly used DC charging (Supercharger or CHAdeMO adapter) and very rarely a Level 2 charger with the J1772 adapter.

So, take stock in the possible places you'd want to drive to for your hiking trips or trips to family or friends and check with the Tesla Supercharger map (scroll down and use the Find Us button there) or check with resources like PlugShare or ChargeHub to see what's available enroute to those locations. Know that charging coverage should get better in the future as more people transition to EVs. Tesla has been constantly expanding their Supercharger network and now with practically every major EV maker on board with using the NACS (Tesla) charge port in the future, it may get crowded at those places, but there should be more of them.

Unless you do road trips in more remote areas, you probably do not need too many plug ends with a Mobile Connector. The ones that you might want (not necessarily all of them):
  • 5-15: use with typical 15A 120V outlets for very slow charging. Sets charging to 12A.
  • 14-50: 40A or 50A 240V. Commonly installed as an "EV charging outlet" these days. Campgrounds may have them as high power outlets. Sets charging to 32A.
  • 6-50: 40A or 50A 240V. Sometimes installed as an "EV charging outlet"; existing ones probably were for welders. Sets charging to 32A.
  • 14-30 or 10-30: 30A 240V outlets usually used for clothes dryers. Sets charging to 24A.
  • TT-30: non-Tesla plug end for Mobile Connector, or adapter to 14-30: 30A 120V outlet found at campgrounds. Sets charging to 24A.
You may not have to buy any additional plug ends. Or if you have an existing high power outlet to use, you may want to buy just the plug end for that. Mainly if you go on road trips in more remote areas or stay in campgrounds would you want more plug ends. Another possible case is if you go to vacation homes that have other kinds of outlets.

The car should come with a J1772 adapter so that you can do AC charging from J1772 EVSEs (e.g. overnight charging at hotels and such, or if you already have a J1772 EVSE). Check that it is not missing from the car.

For fast charging, if you drive road trips in places where CCS1 fast charging is more common than Tesla Superchargers, the CCS1 adapter may be useful until the fast charging industry completely converts to the Tesla charge head.