Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about hold mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi a week and a half of ownership and some one has bumped into the back of me.

On reviewing the dash cam footage I can see that once they hit me my car rolled forward a little way, maybe a foot or two.

My initial question is whether hold mode disengages on detecting this to allow the car to be pushed rather than be damaged?

Obviously I am more concerned about the integrity of the car beneath the plastic bumper.

I do have hold on and I do (almost) always check the icon comes on, but I don't explicitly remember for that stop. From the rear dash cam it does look like the brake lights are shining on the car behind.

I don't remember exactly what happend but I felt the jolt and hit the brake myself then put it in park.

Exact same thing happened to me a few days ago, someone drove into the back of me while I was stationary. It was a very slight bump, no damage at all, but I did have hold on and the car did not roll forward at all.

I would imagine that yours wasn't on hold. Sometimes I find it doesn't quite engage hold if you have been crawling at slow speeds, or have your foot ever so slightly on the accelerator pedal.

It did make me think that it would be kinda cool if the Model 3 could detect if someone was about to drive into the back of you, and if safe to do so, try and avoid the collision by moving forward. I was on the motorway on Friday and someone did a very close (too close) overtake, and the car took control of the steering to move itself away to avoid the collision, I had the red warning come up for the first time that said something about imminent collision detected etc.

Exact same thing happened to me a few days ago, someone drove into the back of me while I was stationary. It was a very slight bump, no damage at all, but I did have hold on and the car did not roll forward at all.

I would imagine that yours wasn't on hold. Sometimes I find it doesn't quite engage hold if you have been crawling at slow speeds, or have your foot ever so slightly on the accelerator pedal.

It did make me think that it would be kinda cool if the Model 3 could detect if someone was about to drive into the back of you, and if safe to do so, try and avoid the collision by moving forward. I was on the motorway on Friday and someone did a very close (too close) overtake, and the car took control of the steering to move itself away to avoid the collision, I had the red warning come up for the first time that said something about imminent collision detected etc.
Did it not let you hold it at all? Was it more forceful than autosteer? Could you have overpowered it or was it to quick?

Well perhaps my foot touched the accelerator pedal during the bump which would of taken it off hold, idk it was on flat and I rolled up behind a van at a red light so it may have been a 'soft' hold.

I will be informing my insurance and ringing an approved body shop who may think I'm crazy as externally the car looks pristine to me

Did it not let you hold it at all? Was it more forceful than autosteer? Could you have overpowered it or was it to quick?
If hold doesn't engage it will engage if I put my foot on the brake pedal.

On the motorway it was very quick, but wasn't a sharp turn or steer, the car just gently moved over to the left of the lane to avoid the person hitting the back of the car.