Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model 3 Powered Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 Powered Trunk Retrofit is now available! I just ordered mine and set up an appointment. The option probably won't last long so get it while you can. Btw, I couldn't find the retrofit going directly to the Accessory page in the app. I had to scan the QR code on the website and that took me to the Powered Trunk Retrofit page in the app. Remember, the retrofit is for 2019 and 2020 Model 3s.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-powered-trunk-retrofit

The Model 3 Powered Trunk Retrofit is now available! I just ordered mine and set up an appointment. The option probably won't last long so get it while you can. Btw, I couldn't find the retrofit going directly to the Accessory page in the app. I had to scan the QR code on the website and that took me to the Powered Trunk Retrofit page in the app. Remember, the retrofit is for 2019 and 2020 Model 3s.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-powered-trunk-retrofit
they couldn't of made it 2018-2020 😭

Hmm. I wonder how the after market ones work then. Not that I'd do that considering I really am not confident enough to install it. But it's annoying. It's only 5 years old and it's already hard to find certain accessories for it.
I've heard many people who are pleased with their 3rd-party powered trunk mods but I was hesitant to go down this route.

The Tesla powered truck retrofit first was made available on Sept 14 this year and has been available for a few times since then for relatively brief periods. I just waited a couple weeks until the option showed up again, but it required that I check the website daily. You could also follow a thread (like this one) and hopefully someone will post when the option becomes available again, like I did.

I just noticed you said your car is 5 years old. If it's a 2018, it won't be eligible for the Tesla retrofit - only 2019 and 2020 Model 3s can be retrofitted. In that case, you'd need to go with a third-party mod.

I've heard many people who are pleased with their 3rd-party powered trunk mods but I was hesitant to go down this route.

The Tesla powered truck retrofit first was made available on Sept 14 this year and has been available for a few times since then for relatively brief periods. I just waited a couple weeks until the option showed up again, but it required that I check the website daily. You could also follow a thread (like this one) and hopefully someone will post when the option becomes available again, like I did.

I just noticed you said your car is 5 years old. If it's a 2018, it won't be eligible for the Tesla retrofit - only 2019 and 2020 Model 3s can be retrofitted. In that case, you'd need to go with a third-party mod.
Yeah they why my original comment said why couldn't it start at 2018 lol. Disappointing. I don't have the money rn anyway but it's strange that third party's make it for 2018 but Tesla doesn't. Makes me think the 3rd party ones aren't gonna be reliable

Yeah they why my original comment said why couldn't it start at 2018 lol. Disappointing. I don't have the money rn anyway but it's strange that third party's make it for 2018 but Tesla doesn't. Makes me think the 3rd party ones aren't gonna be reliable
The third party ones have the harness for the 2018, which is different.

The reason why the Tesla OEM kit does not is likely because this kit was first released in China and from memory China didn't get the 2018 model (it didn't launch in China until later), so the kit never had to support the 2018 model.