Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model 3 Powered Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen that some Model 3s come equipped with a powered trunk. Is it possible to have Tesla install a powered trunk on an older (2019) Model 3 that did not come equipped with one? I'm hesitant to go with a third-party powered-trunk mod.

I did some more searching and found that Tesla China started offering powered trunk retrofits in Feb 2022. I wonder if that retrofit could eventually migrate to Teslas made in the U.S.
Tesla China now offers Model 3 power trunk retrofit for a reasonable price

Sure, anything is possible. Its been more than a year since they started offering it in China though. It seems to me that if they were going to do it, they would have done it already (here in the states) but with that being said, anything is possible. Its not available now though, and I have seen no information whatsoever about any availability here in the US (but I am just a random person on the internet, not some tesla insider).

I did some more searching and found that Tesla China started offering powered trunk retrofits in Feb 2022. I wonder if that retrofit could eventually migrate to Teslas made in the U.S.
Tesla China now offers Model 3 power trunk retrofit for a reasonable price
I am also wanting this on my M3. I saw this a while back and cannot wrap my head around why Tesla is not offering this in the states. Installing a power trunk can be done by a mobile technician (from what I have seen of 3rd party options), and seems like a relatively painless and easy way for Tesla to make money off customers that have already bought their car ages ago.

Still holding out hope though.

Reactions: spsheridan
We have one M3 with and one without the power trunk. I don't see the need apart from the coolness factor.

Can someone give me an example of a situation where it's nice to have? Even if I have bags in both hands, I can lift the trunk.
I'll give you one. I have a 12 pack of beer in each hand and I just tell my watch "Hey Siri! Open the trunk."

• Funny
Reactions: Jclboston
We have one M3 with and one without the power trunk. I don't see the need apart from the coolness factor.

Can someone give me an example of a situation where it's nice to have? Even if I have bags in both hands, I can lift the trunk.

I use it for order pickup a lot. I open my trunk or frunk, they put stuff in, I close and drive away.

Other than that yea I could do it with my hand if I wanted. It's nothing amazingly needed or useful.

Reactions: PianoAl

If you have someone else taking lots of stuff from your trunk, just press button to open, they have their hands full afterwards, and you can just press button on screen to close. Also useful when I'm getting stuff myself, where it's way easier to press a button with stuff in both hands than trying to manually close the trunk (although perhaps a fully manual trunk would have less resistance).

Is it really "needed" (I could just walk back and close it)? No, but it's certainly very nice to have.

It's a kind of like features like power windows (I can certainly roll windows up and down by hand, but a button sure is nice and easy) and keyless entry/start.

Did you install it yourself? If not how much did it cost you?

Since @classychris92 is the one that brought this thread back, the OEM retrofit mentioned by @RandyS is not available for 2018 model 3s which is what you said you have.

We have a 9+ page discussion thread on this retrofit, here:

So, for @classychris92 (or anyone else with a 2018 the answer is still "not available for your car from Tesla, third party is currently the only option".

Reactions: classychris92
Since @classychris92 is the one that brought this thread back, the OEM retrofit mentioned by @RandyS is not available for 2018 model 3s which is what you said you have.

We have a 9+ page discussion thread on this retrofit, here:

So, for @classychris92 (or anyone else with a 2018 the answer is still "not available for your car from Tesla, third party is currently the only option".
Since I started this thread, I'm very pleased to see this offered by Tesla. I understand the Tesla retrofit works for 2019 and 2020 Model 3s. My wife has a 2019 Model 3 so it appears this will work for her car but Tesla doesn't strictly follow model years to implement changes. Does anyone know what changed from 2018 to 2019 to allow the retrofit to work and exactly when Tesla implemented that change? Is that discussed in the thread? Asking because it's a 10-page thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: classychris92
Since I started this thread, I'm very pleased to see this offered by Tesla. I understand the Tesla retrofit works for 2019 and 2020 Model 3s. My wife has a 2019 Model 3 so it appears this will work for her car but Tesla doesn't strictly follow model years to implement changes. Does anyone know what changed from 2018 to 2019 to allow the retrofit to work and exactly when Tesla implemented that change? Is that discussed in the thread? Asking because it's a 10-page thread.

There is a different harness between 2018 and later vehicles. If your model 3 is a 2019, it probably depends on when they switched. I am not aware of a way to tell beside ordering it when you can and having Tesla tell you. Perhaps there is some other way that I am unaware of (kind of likely since I stopped looking into it when all of us with 2018s who ordered got the order canceled / refunded).