Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Model 3 trade-in (condition/accident report) with Tesla after door ding repaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so two years ago, my Model 3 was hit in the drivers side rear door by a pickup driver’s door. Dude flung his door open and hit my car, looked at it, and then drove off. But because of how I was parked, Sentry caught his rear license plate in full view as he drove off. Filed with my insurance, they went after his insurance, door dent(s) were fixed by a Tesla authorized body shop, and driver’s side was resprayed/blended. Looks like new.

I’m now considering a new M3 LR since the 7500 credit is now in play. I’ve been checking Carvana, Tesla and others to see who offers the highest value. But what do I put for accident history? Does a door ding fix count as an accident? How would that be reported on the carfax?

Depending on where you live, your coverage and who is your insurer you can recover the depreciated value of your car. Google diminished value claim. All the best
I did get $1,100 or so in diminished value back in 2022 when the case was closed (thanks to the folks here that told me to do so). But Tesla and others want to ding me $4,000 compared to no accidents now.

Last edited: