Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about tesla's batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I ask my question just know that this is not me knocking the model s and x as they are not designed to be performance vehicles but daily driven comfortable vehicle that can be really fast in short bursts.

Why is tesla's 100kwh battery and systems in the new p100dl limited to 730hp(been limited like this for a long time in the various models)? I don't know everything about batteries but what is limiting it? Its not the motors because as we know the motors in the car can make more power but something else is limiting it. The kwh is simply a rating of how much energy it stores not the max power output amount(as far as im aware). I mean rimac's battery is a 82kwh (650v) battery and can output 1mw(1341hp) and has a max regen of up to 400kw. The koenigsegg regara's battery is 4.5kwh (800v) and can put out 700hp, almost as much as the new p100dl and it has a tiny 4.5 battery, and a 200kw regen. I think it might be the cooling is not enough and if they bump it up to the limit of the motors, something will melt? Or what? What am I missing?

Before I ask my question just know that this is not me knocking the model s and x as they are not designed to be performance vehicles but daily driven comfortable vehicle that can be really fast in short bursts.

Why is tesla's 100kwh battery and systems in the new p100dl limited to 730hp(been limited like this for a long time in the various models)? I don't know everything about batteries but what is limiting it? Its not the motors because as we know the motors in the car can make more power but something else is limiting it. The kwh is simply a rating of how much energy it stores not the max power output amount(as far as im aware). I mean rimac's battery is a 82kwh (650v) battery and can output 1mw(1341hp) and has a max regen of up to 400kw. The koenigsegg regara's battery is 4.5kwh (800v) and can put out 700hp, almost as much as the new p100dl and it has a tiny 4.5 battery, and a 200kw regen. I think it might be the cooling is not enough and if they bump it up to the limit of the motors, something will melt? Or what? What am I missing?
Longevity I think. Different from boutique builders such as Rimac, Tesla needs to maintain range and power for 5 to 10 years at least, 100k miles.

The motor actually is the limiting factor (most of the time) in the P100D and is often the limiting factor in the P90D.

The four corners of battery performance are energy density (range), power density (performance), cycle life and safety. Rimac has traded some range for performance. It's very difficult to find info on Rimac's cells (Edit: I've tried, I suspect they're using AHR26700s but not sure, this would mean that their pack needs to weigh ~1700lbs).

Last edited:
The motor actually is the limiting factor (most of the time) in the P100D and is often the limiting factor in the P90D.

The four corners of battery performance are energy density (range), power density (performance), cycle life and safety. Rimac has traded some range for performance. It's very difficult to find info on Rimac's cells (I've tried).

Typically environmental performance is added to that as well. And then overall cost is a comparison (although likely not as much as a factor for the Rimac):

Battery University EV Cell Comparison